Many users prefer the PS4 controller over the Xbox One’s and wonder if they can connect their PS4 controller to their Xbox One console.
Simply put, you cannot directly use a PS4 controller on an Xbox One. However, you can try some alternative solutions, such as the CronusMAX PLUS adapter. You can stream your PS4 gameplay to your Xbox One screen if needed.
Keep reading to learn how to use a PS4 controller on an Xbox One.
Table of Contents
Best Way to Connect a PS4 Controller to Xbox One
The most effective way to use a PS4 controller on an Xbox One is a compatible adapter like the CronusMAX PLUS adapter. The CronusMAX PLUS adapter lets you connect your PS4 controller to the Xbox One reliably and effectively.
Follow these steps to connect your PS4 controller to your Xbox One using CronusMAX PLUS:
- Connect the CronusMAX PLUS adapter to any available computer and wait for it to install its drivers. Be sure the computer is connected to the internet.
- As CronusMAX’s drivers are installed, open the Cronus PRO app.
- Navigate to Tools > Options > Device and set the Output Protocol to XB1, referring to Xbox One. Also, ensure there’s a tick in the “Enable Dualshock 4/Wiimote Bluetooth searching” box.
- Disconnect the CronusMAX PLUS adapter from the computer, and plug it into the USB port on your Xbox One. As you do that, the adapter will display “AU” on its LED screen, referring to Authentication.
- Shut off your Xbox One controller by removing its batteries. If it’s left turned on, its signals might interfere with the signals of the PS4 controller.
- Disconnect your Xbox One controller and connect it to the CronusMAX PLUS using a USB cable. After you do that, the adapter should display the number zero instead of “AU.”
- Plug a Bluetooth adapter into your CronusMAX PLUS adapter. The Bluetooth adapter must support Bluetooth version 4.0 at a minimum.
- Press and hold the PS and Share buttons on your PS4 controller until it flashes white. The white flash shows the controller is searching for a Bluetooth device. When it finds your CronusMAX PLUS adapter, both devices will pair up and the controller’s light will turn a solid color.
- When the screen on the CronusMAX PLUS adapter displays the number zero once again, it means your PS4 controller is successfully connected to your Xbox One.
Disable Bluetooth Searching
If you want to use your PS4 controller with your Xbox One permanently, it’s recommended that you disable Bluetooth searching. This will ensure no other Bluetooth device interferes with your controller’s connection with your Xbox One, so you won’t have to repeatedly pair your console to your PS4 controller each time you use it.
Follow these steps to turn off Bluetooth searching on your Xbox One:
- Connect the CronusMAX PLUS to your computer via USB.
- Open the Cronus PRO app and uncheck the box “Enable Dualshock 4/Wiimote Bluetooth searching” (if checked).
- Next time you use your Xbox One with your PS4 controller, you can skip steps 1 and 2 in the previous set of instructions, and then simply press the PS button instead of holding the PS and Share buttons in step 8.
That’s it! Now your PS4 controller will connect to your Xbox One without interruptions.
Steps to Connect PS4 Controller to Xbox One Using Remote Play
Remote Play is another effective way to use the PS4 controller on an Xbox One, though it’s time-consuming and repetitive. In this method, you’ll need to install Xbox One’s app on your phone and connect the PS4 controller to it to control your console.
Follow these steps to connect your PS4 controller to your Xbox One using Remote Play:
- Download the Xbox app on your phone.
- Turn on Bluetooth for your phone and PS4 controller. Hold the PS button on the controller to enable its Bluetooth.
- Let both devices pair, and ensure your smartphone and Xbox One use the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open the Xbox app on your phone and select Remote Play.
That’s it! Now you can operate your Xbox One console using the PS4 controller connected to your phone.
Why Can’t You Connect a PS4 Controller to an Xbox One Directly?
The PS4 and Xbox One controllers use different technologies to connect to their respective consoles effectively.
This is why you can only use a PS4 controller on an Xbox One with an adapter like the CronusMAX. Similarly, you cannot use an Xbox One controller with a PS4 either. Simply put, Xbox One and PS4 controllers are not cross-compatible.
Besides the pairing technology differences, PS4 and Xbox One controllers also contain different hardware, requiring drivers customized for them.
The operating systems the Xbox One controller is compatible with are Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Xbox One. Alternatively, the PS4 controller supports Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and PS4.
Now, it may seem like PS4 and Xbox One don’t offer support for their competitor’s controller, but the truth is platforms like Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS are more widely used and provide broader coverage of programs.
Which Controllers Are Compatible with Xbox One?
If you’re planning to try another controller with your Xbox One, the following list of its supported controllers will be helpful:
- Xbox Wireless Controller
- Logitech G920 Driving Wheel and Pedals
- Power A Fusion Pro
- RIG Pro Controller
- Microsoft Xbox Adaptive Controller
- Xbox Design Lab Custom Wireless Controller
- Hyperkin Duke Wired Controller
- Turtle beach Recon Wired Controller
- Thrustmaster Ferrari 458
- Xbox Elite Wireless Controller
- Razer Dragon Ball FighterZ Atrox Arcade Stick
- Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
- Razer Wolverine Wired Gaming Controller
- Turtle Beach VelocityOne Flight
Wrapping It Up
It’s not uncommon for users to prefer the PS4 controller over Xbox One’s original controller. If you’re among them, you might wonder how to use a PS4 controller with your Xbox One to enhance your gaming experience.
We hope our guide thoroughly answered this question. To recap: You cannot connect your PS4 controller to your Xbox One directly, but you can use an adapter like CronusMAX PLUS. Furthermore, the Remote Play feature of the Xbox app is another effective way to use your PS4 controller with an Xbox One.
Until next time—cheers!