The Roku platform is among the most popular streaming devices today. It lets you access a wide range of live and on-demand channels and supports various apps via the Roku Channel Store. Every Roku device comes with a multi-purpose remote that you can use for your Roku TV.
Similar to your smartphone, you can also download a web browser app for Roku. In this guide, we’ll show you the best Roku internet browsers that you can download via the Roku Channel Store. Read this guide to learn more.
Table of Contents
- 1 Does Roku Have a Web Browser?
- 2 7 Best Web Browsers on Roku
- 3 Final Thoughts
Does Roku Have a Web Browser?
No. Roku doesn’t have its own built-in web browser. However, you can download a Roku web browser through the Roku Channel Store. It’s an app store that contains compatible and safe apps for your Roku device.
However, some of the internet browsers on Roku have downsides, like the inability to play videos from streaming sites and privacy issues. Still, it’s a great feature that you can take advantage of, especially when you’re often using your Roku device.
7 Best Web Browsers on Roku
There are many choices for web browsers in the Roku Channel Store. Below is a list that you can refer to when choosing the best web browser on Roku. It consists of both paid and free apps, so make sure to read each app review and check which app fits your Roku device.
This internet browser is a great app for overall internet browsing and streaming. You can use it for streaming TV shows, movies, live streams, and other content. It can also view photos and play videos from a specific site. However, the app is not free and will cost you $4.99/month.
To install the app, you can download it directly from the Roku Channel Store and purchase it’s Premium version.
- Widely used on Roku and other streaming devices
- Supports video streaming and viewing media content
- The app is not free; will only get access to most features in the Premium version
Another free and trusted app that you can use with your Roku device is the Opera web browser. It’s a lightweight and fast browser that’s compatible with most Windows computers. It also has a VPN feature that you can use for anonymity on the internet.
Since it’s not available on the Roku Channel Store, you’ll need to download it first to your computer. Then, follow the steps below:
- Ensure that the Roku device is connected to your computer. Connect your Roku to the same WiFi as your computer.
- Launch Opera and go to Settings > Cast and choose your Roku device.
- You can now browse the internet while casting content to your Roku device.
- The app is lightweight and is supported by most Windows computers
- Fast loading speeds compared to other browsers
- Free and is constantly updated
- Not available on the Roku Channel Store
- The installation process sometimes takes too long
#3. Emby For Roku
Emby for Roku is a media streaming app that you can use on Roku while it’s connected to your smart TV or computer. You can use this app when viewing the latest movies, Live TV, and other content. You can also use it to view your saved content, which is shown on the My Media group.
To install Emby for Roku, search for it on the Roku Channel Store and download it for free.
- User-friendly and optimized interface
- Suited for streaming movies, Live TV, TV series, and music
- Can be used to view your saved content
- Only supports streaming and cannot be used for web browsing
- Needs Emby Premiere subscription to view premium channels
One of the top-tier browsers on the market today is Firefox. It’s an app that’s been improved over the years and is preferred by users due to its privacy features. Similar to Opera, it also supports various Roku device models.
To use Firefox as a casting app for your Roku device, proceed to these steps:
- Download the Firefox browser to your computer.
- Connect the Roku device to your computer and launch Firefox. Ensure that your Roku device and computer are connected to the same wireless network.
- Go to Settings > Cast and choose your Roku device from the list.
- You can now begin to cast content to your Roku device.
- Fast browsing and takes little space on storage
- Highly-customizable browser and has a built-in ad-blocker
- Has a private browsing feature
- Some sites or streaming services are not supported by the browser
#5: Safari Browser
Although it’s branded similarly to the Safari browser for iOS and macOS devices, the Safari Browser for Roku is an app that you can use for web browsing and is entirely different from the original Safari app. Most users have also had a disappointing experience using the app on Roku, hence, the low rating on its download page on the Roku Channel Store.
- One of the few web browsers on the Roku Channel Store
- The app is free and worth trying
- Can be used to surf the web and stream content
- The app mostly has negative reviews on the Roku Channel Store
- Can be time-consuming to use
#6. Google Chrome
Google Chrome is one of the most popular browsers on Windows computers and smartphones. It’s known for its ease of use, fast loading speeds, and device support. To use Chrome to screencast content to your Roku device, follow these steps:
- Download Chrome on your computer.
- Plug in your Roku device to your computer and connect both devices to the same WiFi network.
- Launch Chrome and select More > Cast. Select your Roku device from the list of devices.
- Start casting content from the Chrome browser to your Roku device.
- The app is free and has quick loading speeds
- Various features, like screencasting and downloading content
- Supports various video formats
- The app can take up huge amounts of internal storage
- Incidents of data leaks, including collected personal data from users
#7. The Roku Channel
This channel provides access to premium Roku content, including Roku Originals and free TV. You can also watch TV series, classic movies, and other on-demand content. It’s an all-in-one channel for both premium and free TV.
You can download Roku Channel for free on the Roku Channel Store.
- All-in-one app for live and on-demand TV content
- Lets you add more premium channels, such as Showtime, Epix, etc.
- Free and easy to use
- Some free channels are geographically-restricted
- Does not support web browsing
Web browsing on Roku is an unpopular, but highly-useful feature. It lets you have access to the internet and visit popular sites. Hopefully, this guide can help you to choose the best Roku web browser for your Roku device.