The PlayStation Store is the home for a wide array of games, subscriptions, add-ons, and more. Released in 2006, it’s been made available on all PlayStation consoles, including the newest PlayStation 5. However, some users encountered the “an unidentified error occurred PS5” issue.
This error mainly occurs after a failed purchase on the PS Store. This guide will show you various fixes to the PS5 unidentified error occurred problem. Read this guide to learn more.
Table of Contents
How to Fix PS5 Unidentified Error
The “An unidentified error occurred” in PS5 has reportedly been experienced by various users. As its name suggests, the problem is “unidentified”, making it harder to solve. However, most users came across this error upon purchasing something from the PlayStation Store.
Here are some fixes you can try to solve the PS5 unidentified error occurred issue. Remember to review each fix and check which one is the most effective for your PS5:
Fix #1: Check the PlayStation Network’s Server Status
One of the first things you should check when experiencing this problem on your PS5 is the PlayStation Network’s (PSN) server status. Specifically, you can check whether the PlayStation Store service is operational. If it’s down, wait a few minutes or hours until the server is back up again, and try pushing through with your PS Store transaction.
You can see if all PSN network services are up and operational by clicking here. Once a specific service is down for more than 24 hours, you can check PlayStation’s official Twitter support page for updates or contact PS Store Support directly.
Fix #2: Power Cycle your PS5
It’s possible to encounter various errors on the PS Store due to in-app bugs. However, you can solve this by performing a power cycle on your PS5 console. This resets all running apps and processes on your console, including ones that might be causing the error.
To power cycle your PS5, follow these steps:
- With your PS5 console switched on, press the Power button in front of it until it turns off.
- Unplug its power cable and wait for twenty minutes to drain the power.
- Plug the power cable back in and turn on your PS5.
- Visit the PS Store and check if the issue is fixed.
Fix #3: Add a New Payment Method
Another recommended fix you can try when experiencing the “An unidentified error occurred PS5” issue is adding a new payment method. Besides filling up the correct credit or debit details, it’s essential to check if the country or region for your payment method matches your console’s location; otherwise, the purchase won’t be completed.
To add a new payment method on the PS Store via your computer’s browser, follow the steps below:
- Launch your computer’s default browser and visit the PlayStation Store. Sign in to your account.
- Select your online ID and choose Payment Management > Add Payment Method.
- Fill up the page with your updated credit or debit information.
- Once saved, try purchasing your desired item and check if the error is solved.
- To set the current payment method as default, go to Payment Management > Edit and select Set as default payment method.
Fix #4: Top Up Your PlayStation Store Wallet
Paying with your PlayStation Store wallet is an alternative way to make purchases on the PS Store if your current payment method doesn’t work. However, you’ll need to top it up first with enough funds to buy your desired item. Your wallet can be funded using a verified payment method or a voucher.
To top up your PlayStation Store wallet directly on your PS5 console, proceed to these steps:
- Go to Settings > Users and Accounts.
- Select Account > Payment and Subscriptions and choose Add Funds.
- Choose your account and enter the amount to be added to your wallet.
- Select your desired payment method and wait for the amount to be credited to your wallet.
- Once successful, try purchasing your desired item on the PS Store using your wallet and check if the error is fixed.
Buying the newest games, add-ons, and subscriptions on the PlayStation Store is necessary for most PS5 users. However, you might encounter the “an unidentified error occurred” problem after a failed transaction on the app. This can be caused by a bug or an invalid payment method.
Hopefully, this guide helps you to solve this common PS Store error on your PS5 console. If all fixes didn’t work, try contacting PS Store Support for further assistance.