Apple TV is a reliable streaming device compatible with almost all streaming apps and is easy to use, especially for Apple users. It can stream high-quality movies and gives you access to exclusive content from Apple TV+.
But, some users have recently had a problem with the Apple TV sound not working and the sound not working on AirPlay. This issue can sometimes be related to the settings on your Apple TV or external sound system. This guide will show you how to fix the Apple TV no sound issue.
Read this guide to learn more.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Apple TV Volume Not Working Problem
You can try various methods to fix your Apple TV when it has no sound. Remember to go over each fix and see which is the most effective for your Apple TV streaming device.
Fix #1: Change Audio Format on Your Apple TV
The no audio issue on your Apple TV can sometimes be caused by incorrect audio settings, such as the audio format. You can do this by not only changing the audio settings on your Apple TV but also changing the settings on your smart TV. To change the audio format on your Apple TV, follow these steps:
- Turn on your smart TV with the Apple TV device connected.
- Press the Menu button on the remote and go to Settings.
- Select Audio and Video and choose Audio Format > Change Format.
- Select the New Format option and set it to Stereo.
- Next, use the remote of your smart TV and go to the TV’s Audio or Sound settings.
- Choose the Audio Out setting and switch it to Optical. Also, select the Digital Sound Out <PCM> under optical.
Fix #2: Check & Secure All Cable Connections
Audio problems can sometimes be caused by loose cable connections on your smart TV or the Apple TV streaming device. Check whether the HDMI and audio cables are securely connected to the correct ports. After ensuring all cables are correctly connected, you can try rebooting your Apple TV device.
To reboot your Apple TV, follow the steps below:
- Turn on your smart TV. Using the Apple TV remote, press the Menu button on the remote and go to Settings.
- Choose System and select Restart.
- After rebooting, play any media on your Apple TV and check if the audio is working.
If you’re using an external sound system, disconnect their cables and wait for 30 seconds. Then, connect them back to your Apple TV streaming device. After doing this, you’ll also need to check if your Apple TV chooses the correct audio output.
To select the correct audio output for your Apple TV device, proceed to these steps:
- Select the Menu button on the remote and go to Settings > Audio and Video.
- Choose Audio Output and select your desired external audio device.
While you are checking your cables – if you have a spare ethernet cable lying around this is a great way to connect your Apple TV to WiFi without a remote.
Fix #3: Update Your Apple TV’s Firmware
Various problems can occur on your Apple TV device when its firmware is not updated. Some updates contain fixes to bugs that might interfere with the streaming device’s audio. To update your Apple TV to the latest version, follow the steps below:
- Turn on your Apple TV and select the Menu button on the remote.
- Launch Settings and go to Software Updates > Update Software.
- Choose Download and Install to start updating your Apple TV.
- Once updated, you can check if the Apple TV sound issue is fixed.
Hopefully these methods have solved your problem. We also have a guide if you have No App Store on your Apple TV.
Similar to other streaming devices, you can experience audio problems on your Apple TV streaming device. This happens when you hear no sound from the streaming device, and the volume buttons are faulty.
Hopefully, these fixes can help you fix the Apple TV no sound issue. If the fixes above were ineffective, contact Apple TV Support for further assistance.