Just like any other consoles and smart devices, you will need a WiFi connection to get the best out of your PS4’s features. A wireless internet connection gives you access to your account and game library. To communicate with your friends, you will also need a stable WiFi connection.
But what if your PS4 keeps disconnecting from wifi? Can you use your current mobile data plan for your PS4? How can you set it up on your Android or iOS device? In this guide, we’ll go over those questions and also some frequently asked questions on connecting your PS4 to a mobile hotspot.
Read on to learn more.
Table of Contents
- 1 Connecting your PS4 to a Mobile Hotspot
- 2 Link your Smartphone to your PS4 Console
- 3 FAQs on Connecting your PS4 to a Mobile Hotspot
- 4 Final Thoughts
Connecting your PS4 to a Mobile Hotspot
When you’re away from your house and there are no stable WiFi connections nearby, a mobile phone data network or cellular data network is a reliable choice. It can act as an alternative to a WiFi connection and will work anywhere as long as there’s sufficient signal strength.
Although this will not be as fast and reliable as a 5GhZ WiFi or an Ethernet (wired) connection, it can still let you connect to your PlayStation account and play some games. Mobile hotspot connections also tend to use a huge amount of data, so just keep that in mind.
The first thing to do is to set up your mobile hotspot. It can vary depending on your smartphone’s OS. Here’s how you can set up a mobile hotspot on either Android or iOS.
Set up a Mobile Hotspot on your iPhone (iOS)
- Navigate to Settings > Cellular.
- Toggle the switch next to Cellular Data to turn it On.
- Next, go to Personal Hotspot > Allow Others to Join and tap it to turn On.
- Below it, you can see your hotspot’s password. You can change it by tapping and entering a new one.
- Then, select Done. By default, your mobile hotspot’s name is your phone’s name. You can customize it by going to Settings > General > About and tapping the Name option.
Your Personal Hotspot can be automatically detected by nearby devices, including your PS4 console. As long as your Cellular Data is enabled, your Personal Hotspot should remain on as well.
Set up a Mobile Hotspot on your Android Phone
- Go to Settings > Connections.
- Choose Data usage and tap the switch next to Mobile Data to turn it On.
Tip: You can also turn on your Mobile Data via the Quick panel. Just swipe down from the screen to open the Quick panel and tap the Mobile Data icon to turn it On. Once activated, it should turn blue.
- Next, go back and select Mobile hotspot and tethering.
- Tap the switch next to Mobile Hotspot and switch it On.
- To configure, tap the Mobile Hotspot option and select Configure. Here, you can see and make changes to the network name, password, and network band.
- Also, ensure that your mobile hotspot is visible, so your PS4 console can detect and connect to it.
To connect your PS4 to the mobile hotspot:
- Turn on your PS4 console and go to Settings > Network.
- Select Set up internet connection and choose Use Wi-Fi.
- Next, choose Easy. Your PS4 will now scan for nearby wireless connections and mobile hotspots.
- From the list, select the name of your mobile hotspot and enter the password. It should notify both your PS4 and your phone if the connection is successful.
That’s all you need to do to connect your PS4 to a mobile hotspot network. Now you can log in to your PlayStation account and play your favorite games. When operating on a mobile hotspot, make sure that your phone’s distance to the console should not exceed 10 meters (30 feet) to avoid any interruptions.
You can also use this method on other consoles, like the Nintendo Wii and previous Playstation editions that support a WiFi network.
Link your Smartphone to your PS4 Console
On PS4 or later PlayStation editions, you can directly link your phone and other devices to the PS4 console via the PlayStation app. It is compatible with both iOS and Android devices and can be downloaded through the App Store or the Google Play Store. This app lets you control your PS4 PlayStation account through your phone and do all the gaming on the console.
To link your phone to your PS4, follow the steps below:
- First, download and install the PlayStation App from your respective app stores.
- Open the app and sign in to your PlayStation account.
- Next, select Connect to PS4 on the main menu and approve all necessary permissions.
- The app will now scan for your PS4 console; it will ask you to enter a code once it is detected.
- Next, turn on your PS4 and go to Settings > PlayStation App Connection.
- Tap Add a Device. It will now provide you with a unique code.
- Enter the code on your phone and select Ok. Your phone is now linked to your PS4 via the PlayStation app.
The PlayStation app can give you access to your game library, buy the latest games, chat with your friends on the PlayStation Network, and stream PS4 games on your phone. This app can link up to sixteen devices on your console.
FAQs on Connecting your PS4 to a Mobile Hotspot
If you followed all the steps above and your PS4 console still cannot connect to your mobile hotspot, it must be due to a problem with the connection or from the mobile hotspot itself. Here are some fixes that you can try when you’re having mobile hotspot connection issues on your PS4.
Fix #1: Keep your Phone and PS4 at an Optimal Range
As mentioned earlier, the optimal distance for a mobile hotspot connection is <10 meters or <30 feet. If your phone is farther than the said range, you might have connection problems with your PS4. If you can, keep them as close as possible and avoid any obstructions like walls and doors.
Fix #2: Ensure that your Phone is Connected to the Internet
A hotspot will not work if you don’t have a stable mobile data connection on your phone. Take note of the signal strength, as this will have a great effect on the connection speed. A slow internet connection will disrupt your gaming experience.
Also, ensure that you have enough data on your mobile data subscription. If you’re on a data plan, check if you’re far from your data limit since this will directly affect your mobile data connection.
Fix #3: Restart your PS4 and your Phone
Glitches can sometimes happen to your devices, which will lead to a slow or a failed connection. Restarting both your PS4 and your phone can solve these problems if you have tried all the fixes above. Afterward, you can try connecting both devices again and see if this solves the problem.
Fix #4: Give up and Go Wired
Yep, if you just cannot get the mobile hotspot to work then go the wired alternative. If that doesn’t work either, read how to fix your PS4 LAN cable connection problems.
PS4, like any other WiFi-supported device, will need an internet connection for you to get the most out of its features. Although, make sure to keep an eye on your data consumption since the PS4 can eat up a lot of data, especially after long gaming sessions.
Hopefully, this guide can help you on connecting your PS4 to a mobile data network. So, if you’re away from home or your home WiFi connection is temporarily down, make sure to check this guide to play your games without a WiFi connection.