Final Fantasy XIV is one of the most iconic massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) of the 2010s. It’s a subscription-based game on Steam that is only available in the Windows operating system. When playing it, however, some users have experienced the fatal DirectX error FFXIV.
The FFXIV DX11 error often happens when your computer has outdated graphics drivers or an incompatible version of DirectX. This guide will show you various fixes to the FFXIV fatal DirectX error. Read this guide to know more.
Table of Contents
What is the Fatal DirectX Error FFXIV?
This error occurs with the message “A Fatal DirectX Error Has Occurred. (11000002).” Next thing you know, the game freezes and crashes afterward. While you might have trouble finding its major cause, here are some of the most common reasons for the FFXIV DX11 error:
- Outdated graphics drivers
- Incompatible version of DirectX
- Conflict with the SLI (Nvidia) or Crossfire (AMD) feature
- You’re playing the game in full-screen mode
How to Fix Fatal DirectX Error FFXIV
Here are some troubleshooting methods to help you fix the FFXIV fatal DirectX error. Remember to try out each fix and check which one is the most effective:
Fix #1: Update Your Computer’s Graphics Driver
The most recommended way to fix most DirectX errors is by updating your computer’s graphics drivers. Specific updates contain bug fixes, which may fix the DirectX fatal error on Final Fantasy XIV. To update graphics drivers on Windows, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer and press the keys: Win + R. Type in the program devmgmt.msc and choose OK. This will open the Device Manager.
- Click on the Display adapters group to expand it.
- Right-click on the listed graphics driver and choose Update Driver.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once the latest driver has been installed, you can try downloading the Intel Driver & Support Assistant (DSA) app by clicking here and installing it on your computer.
- Follow the program’s on-screen steps to detect your graphics driver and install its needed updates.
Once updating your graphics driver doesn’t work, you can try re-installing it to check if a bug or a glitch causes the error. To uninstall and reinstall your graphics driver, follow the steps below:
- From the Device Manager window, extend the Display adapters group.
- Right-click the graphics driver and choose Uninstall device. You may be prompted to restart your computer to complete the process.
- Next, go to the Device Manager and check if the driver is automatically reinstalled.
- Run FFXIV on your computer and check if the error is solved.
If you’re also using an Nvidia or AMD graphics card along with your primary card, here are some steps to update them:
Updating Your Nvidia Graphics Card Using Nvidia GeForce Experience
- Using the Search menu, type in the keywords geforce experience. Select its app icon to open.
- Choose the Drivers tab and select Check For Updates.
- Once an update is available, select the Download button and wait for it to be installed on your computer.
Updating Your AMD Graphics Card
To update your AMD graphics card, you’ll need to download AMD’s Driver Auto-Detect Tool by clicking here. After it’s installed, follow the on-screen steps to check for the latest updates on your graphics driver.
Fix #2: Run the Game in Windowed Mode
One simple yet effective fix to the FFXIV fatal DirectX error is running the game in windowed mode. For some reason, some players have run into DirectX issues when launching FFXIV in full-screen.
To run FFXIV in windowed mode, proceed to these steps:
- Launch the File Explorer by clicking on its icon from the taskbar. Select the Documents icon.
- Navigate to My Games > Final Fantasy XIV and find the file FFXIV.cfg. Open it.
- In the Notepad window, press the keys: CTRL + F and search for the screen mode keyword. Click Find Next.
- Once found, set its value to 2 and press CTRL + S to save all changes.
- Restart your computer and try launching FFXIV. Check if the error is fixed.
Fix #3: Disable the SLI (Nvidia) or CrossFire (AMD) Feature
Nvidia’s SLI or AMD’s CrossFire allows you to integrate two or more graphics processing units (GPUs) into your games for improved image quality and gaming experience. However, this can sometimes interfere with the game, causing it to crash or show the FFXIV DX11 error.
To disable SLI (Nvidia) or CrossFire (AMD) on your computer, do the following:
Disabling SLI on Nvidia
- Right-click on your computer’s desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Under 3D Settings, choose Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX.
- Select Disable SLI and click Apply to save changes.
- Restart your computer and open FFXIV. See if the error is fixed.
Disabling CrossFire on AMD
- Right-click on your computer’s desktop and choose AMD Radeon Settings.
- Navigate to the Gaming tab and select Global Settings.
- Find the AMD CrossFire option and disable it.
- Reboot your computer and launch FFXIV. Check if the issue is solved.
Fix #4: Launch FFXIV Using DirectX 9
By default, Windows will launch FFXIV using DirectX 11. However, if you’re experiencing the fatal DirectX error FFXIV, you can launch it using DirectX 9. To change the launch options of FFXIV on Steam to DirectX 9, follow the steps below:
- Open the Steam app on your computer and find Final Fantasy XIV in your Game Library.
- Right-click on its game icon and choose Properties.
- Go to General and select the Set Launch Options… menu.
- Select Direct 3D 9 (-dx9) from the dropdown options and click OK to confirm.
- Relaunch Steam and run FFXIV. Check if the error is fixed.
Final Fantasy XIV is one of the best MMORPGs you can play on Steam right now. It allows you to explore various realms, create customizable avatars, and play with friends online. However, you might experience a fatal DirectX error while playing FFXIV.
Hopefully, this guide helps you to fix the FFXIV DX11 error. If these fixes were ineffective, contact the game’s support center for more help.