Have you ever been in a situation where there’s no available power source and your laptop’s about to die? Maybe you forgot your laptop charger at home, or worse, your charging port isn’t working at all.
If you need important files from your laptop but have no way to boot it up with a charger, thankfully, there are multiple solutions that can bring your laptop to life once again!
In this article, learn about the six quick ways to charge your laptop without a charger. You might even find the perfect long-term solution to your dead battery dilemma!
Please note that you can use similar methods to charge your chromebook without a charger.
Table of Contents
6 Ways to Charge a Laptop Without a Charger
These solutions make it possible to charge your laptop without a power source. If your charger or charging port isn’t an option, try booting up your laptop with the 6 following options:
Find Spare Battery
This tip is an industry secret that seems obvious, but not many people take advantage of it.
Laptop manufacturers love selling spare parts, including batteries! If you’re on the road and don’t have an available power source, you can easily keep your laptop running by investing in a second battery.
If you’re wondering how to charge a laptop battery without laptop charging ports, invest in an external battery charger. This device plugs directly into the power socket.
A convenient way to prepare for long trips is to charge your main battery with your laptop charger and charge your spare battery with an external battery charger.
External battery chargers are often specific to a brand and line, so make sure to buy one that matches your laptop model.
Use a Type-C Cable
USB-C ports offer high-power connectivity, conducting much more power at higher speeds than a USB-A connector. Laptops with built-in USB-C ports will allow you to charge your laptop via a USB-C cable.
If you’re wondering how to charge a laptop battery with a USB-C cable, all you have to do is make sure that the USB-C cable has a plug adapter. Plug that end into an outlet and the other end into your laptop.
- Revolutionary speed: charge any USB C device at top speeds with the power delivery port (30W maximum speed), while 4 Power ports intelligently recognize your device to boost charging speeds up to 2. 4a per port.
- Five-port party: access simultaneous charging for everyone—all from just one wall outlet.
- Superior Safety: advanced safety Features like surge protection, temperature control, and more Let you charge with total peace of mind.
- Advanced durability: A scratch-resistant and smudge proof exterior, combined with advanced drop protection, make for one tough charger.
- What you get: Anker power port I with 1 power delivery and 4 power ports, adhesive strip, welcome Guide, our fan-favorite 18-month and friendly customer service.
If you’re looking for a reliable USB-C adapter, the Anker Premium 60W adapter can simultaneously deliver up to 30W of power to up to five USB-C devices at full-speed. Four of those power ports have an intelligent design that automatically recognizes device type to boost charging speeds. You can even use your phone to charge the laptop battery through the USB port.
Charge your Laptop with a Power Bank
Another easy way to charge your laptop without a charger is with a portable power bank. All you have to do is connect the power bank to your laptop’s USB-A or USB C port.
USB-A power chords are generally less powerful, so you’ll want to invest in a powerful USB-C power bank that’s 8 volts or higher if you’re going to use your laptop while it’s plugged in. Most laptops need 8 volts to 12 volts to charge, and most power banks can only offer 5 volts.
- 【Power Hub For All Your Smart Devices】From laptops to cameras, drones, and smartphones, Omnicharge can keep all your devices charged up. Compact and functional.
- 【Extensive Features】All-In-One power solution with high powered AC, USB-C PD for laptops, Wireless charging, QC 3.0 USB-A, Adjustable DC power, pass-through charging and solar charging.
- 【High Powered, Fast Charging】70wh (20000mah) battery capacity. Charge safe and fast with high charging efficiency. 100 watt AC and DC, 60 watt USB-C PD, powers most smart devices including MacBook Pro and Surface Pro.
- 【Carry Less, Power More】Carry one cable to charge your laptop using USB-C or DC output while charging your Qi-compatible smartphone wirelessly, leave your bulky chargers at home
- 【Accessories】The Omni 20+ includes a USB charging cable and a USB-C charging cable. NOT INCLUDED: Fast charger and DC cables for DJI Drones, Surface, and other PC laptops sold separately.
The OmniCharge 20+ 20000mah is one of the best options for a laptop power bank. It’s compatible with a wide variety of laptops, including 60W USB-C laptops and other 100W AC-compatible outlets, making it great for most laptops and tech gadgets. The OmniCharge 20+ also features DC in/out, two USB A ports, and passthrough charging that allows you to charge the power bank while simultaneously charging other devices.
Charge your Laptop with an UPS Power Supply
A UPS (uninterruptible power supply) includes a battery which can power a laptop, as well as offering surge protection. We have a handy Laptop UPS Runtime Calculator which lets you determine how long you will be able to power your laptop.
Use your Smartphone
Especially in an emergency, using your cellphone as a backup power supply can be a true lifesaver. All you have to do is use a USB-C cable and connect one end to your smartphone and the other to your laptop.
Navigate to your USB’s power settings, and select the option to supply power to another device. You should expect the power from your phone to drain quickly as your laptop boots up.
Your smartphone doesn’t hold as much power as a power bank, so there are some drawbacks to this method:
- You won’t get more than 30 minutes of laptop power
- Having a dead phone can be more of a hassle in some situations
While not a great long-term solution to a dead battery, it’s still a handy trick that can get you out of a tight spot.
Invest in a Universal Power Adapter
Do you have an old laptop and charger that’s no longer in production?
It doesn’t mean that your laptop is now a brick. You can invest in a universal power adapter. This AC/DC device comes with multiple interchangeable pins, which is great for supporting a wide variety of laptop brands.
- This replacement power adapter offers 8 interchangeable tips, which makes it fits 95% of AC/DC home appliances, Such as 3V to 12V Household Electronics, Tablet, Scales, Routers, Speakers, LED Strip Lights, CCTV camera system, USB Charging Camera, USB powered devices and more.
- AC Input: 100-240V 50/60Hz 1.0A, DC Output: volt 3V 4.5V 5V 6V 7.5V 9V 12V - amp 0.5A 1.0A 1.5A 2.0A 2.5A Max. 3.0A
- This power supply is a versatile adjustable adapter, replace those adapters less than 36W like 5V 1A 2A 2.1A, 12V 1A 2A, Max. support 5V 3A, 6V 3A, 9V 3A, 12V 3A and more.
- This AC adapter polarity is inner Positive(+), outer Negative(-). If your device is with center negative polarity "-", please take a Belker polarity reversed cable. Search "B07PMHMPMP" on Amazon.
- Package content: 1 x Universal AC DC adapter, 1 x Plugs kit, 1 x Switch key. 1 x User Manual
Universal power adapters work just like your original charger, allowing you to use your laptop while it charges. With that in mind, remember to monitor your voltage and amperage to avoid overheating your system or batteries.
These are also readily available online, so you could easily replace them if you’ve lost an essential piece.
Charge your Laptop with your Car
Here’s the perfect solution to charging your laptop while you’re on a road trip!
- Vehicle charger with: 1-Port USB-A 12W (no cable included). 1-Built-In-Cable USB-C 18W
- Apple MFi Certified: Ensures complete compatibility with iPhone 13 12 11, 13 12 11 Pro, 13 12 11 Pro Max, 13 12 Mini, XS / XS Max / XR / X / 8 Plus / 8 / 7 Plus / 7 / 6s Plus / 6s / 6 Plus / 6 / 5s / 5c / 5 / iPhone SE 1 / SE 2 / iPad Pro (12.9 in, 10.5 in,9.7 in) / iPad Pro 2 (12.9 in) / iPad Air / Air 2 / Air 3 / iPad mini / mini 2 / mini 3 / mini 4 / mini 5 / iPad 9th gen / iPod Touch 5th gen / iPod nano 7th gen and Beats Pill+
- Delivers an 80% charge in just 35 minutes; charges up to 4x faster than standard chargers
- Plugs into your car, truck, or van’s cigarette lighter to deliver a strong charge
- Safety features include an automatic stop, vibration absorption, and a fireproof construction
All you need are a USB car charger and an AC adapter. USB-A to USB-C adapters works great for USB car charging.
To charge your laptop using your car battery, here’s what you should do:
- Turn on your car engine
- Plugin the car charger
- Plugin the USB-C connector to your laptop
Most of the time, you won’t even need a USB car charger since most cars nowadays have a USB port.
While some people would argue that it’s unsafe to use a laptop charger that’s not from the official manufacturer, the methods on our list are great for booting up your laptop when you’re in a pickle.
Especially when you’re planning a long business trip, consider charging your laptop with any of these methods if you don’t have a charger or power source available.
Let us know which method you’ll try!