Thanks to recent upgrades, you can now connect almost every standard video gaming controller to your iPhone. The Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S controllers are regarded as some of the best on the market. Try connecting your Xbox controller to your phone if you play many games on your iPhone and have an Xbox to improve the experience.
Several of the most well-known games on the App Store–including virtually all of the titles in the Apple Arcade, allow you to play using Xbox controllers.
Read our quick and cohesive guide if you’re wondering how to connect your Xbox controller to your iPhone or iPad.
Table of Contents
Does the Xbox Controller Have Bluetooth?
Your iPhone uses Bluetooth to connect to gaming controllers. This feature implies that any controller you connect to your iPhone must also support Bluetooth.
Thankfully, Bluetooth is included on almost all authentic Xbox controllers. This consists of the controllers that come with the Xbox One S, Xbox One X, and Xbox Series X/S. You probably don’t need to be concerned if you purchased your controller in the previous five years.
However, you might need to upgrade if you’re still using the controllers that came with the original Xbox One. There’s a straightforward way to tell whether your Xbox controller supports Bluetooth if you need to make sure.
The plastic around the Xbox button on an Xbox One controller with Bluetooth functionality is coloured to match the device’s overall design. Instead, non-Bluetooth controllers use plastic in the same shade as the bumper buttons.
If your controller has Bluetooth, you can very easily connect Xbox controller to your iPhone or iPad.
How To Connect Xbox Controller To iPhone
You can connect the Xbox controller to iPhone to make the most of Apple Arcade games. If your Xbox controller has Bluetooth, you can follow the instructions provided below.
- Keep pressing the top-center Xbox logo button on the controller until it begins to flash
- It’s already attached to a nearby Xbox if it doesn’t flash and instead merely lights steadily; in this instance, press the little button next to the charging connector until the Xbox logo flashes
- Take out your iPhone, launch the Settings app, and select Bluetooth
- Once you’re in the Bluetooth menu, a device with the name “Xbox Wireless Controller” or a similar name should be visible
- Your iPhone will prompt you to link the device when you tap it
Once you’ve followed these instructions, you can easily enjoy your iPhone and Xbox’s compatibility on most games requiring a controller.
Which iPhone Models Are Compatible With Xbox Controller?
You can connect an Xbox controller to practically any iPhone model if your iPhone has the most recent firmware update. This implies that if your iPhone is too old to update to the newest iOS, you can experience technical difficulties while attempting to connect your Xbox to the iPhone. This same logic applies to the Apple iPad as well.
How to Connect Xbox Controller to iPad
The iPad is an excellent gadget for browsing emails and notes, watching films, and seeing images, but it’s not all that enjoyable to play games on it.
But thanks to the new iOS and iPadOS, you can now play your favorite game on your Apple iPad using your Xbox controllers. However, you might be unsure how to connect your iPad and Xbox controller.
The guide below will give you easy instructions on connecting Xbox controller with your iPad.
- You must first confirm that iPad iOS has been updated on your device
- Go to Settings and click on General
- Go to the About option and choose Software Version to learn about your current software and whether an update is required
- Press the Xbox logo button to turn it on
- Then, press and hold down the wireless connection button on the controller’s rear
- Quick flashing should begin on the light bar
- Turn on Bluetooth on your iPad by going to Settings and clicking on the Bluetooth option
- Your Xbox Controller ought to show up in the list of devices
- It only has to be clicked for pairing to occur
How To Customize Xbox Controller From iPhone
Remember that you may modify your Xbox controller’s settings via iOS after successfully connecting it to your iPhone. However, Remember that your iPhone must run the most recent iOS software to make these modifications.
You should follow the instructions below if you wish to modify your controller.
- Open your iPhone’s Settings app.
- Click General.
- Choose the Game Controller option.
- Select your controller by tapping it.
- Select Default Controls.
- You may change the function of the buttons here, and you can also have your apps remember the changes you make, so you don’t have to repeat them.
How to Resolve iPhone and Xbox Controller Issues
Once you’ve learned how to connect the Xbox controller to iPhone, you might come across occasional glitches every once in a while. However, resolving these problems is uncomplicated, and they are nothing to fret about.
Numerous difficulties with Xbox controllers on the iPhone have been reported. Here are a few methods that work for other iPhone users and may do the trick for you, even though these issues can be a little challenging to resolve. Follow the guide below to resolve connectivity problems.
- Go to your Bluetooth settings on your iPhone
- Then, press the ‘i’ symbol next to the name of your controller there if you’re having difficulties getting it to connect to your iPhone
- Retry by tapping on the Forget This Device option
Additionally, we advise fewer Bluetooth devices being linked to your iPhone. This may assist in preventing wireless interference. According to Apple, the support for particular buttons and functionalities varies depending on the controller and the app you’re running with it.
Which iPhone Games Offer The Best Controller Support
You’ve successfully linked your Xbox controller to your iPhone. Now it’s time to start playing a great game and immerse yourself in a one-of-a-kind gaming experience.
You can play a variety of games with controller support on your iPhone. To make it easier for you to enjoy these games, we’ve listed the top two according to user popularity.
Call of Duty: Mobile
This game should suit your tastes, whether you enjoy sniper vs sniper battles or desire to give it your all in a deathmatch. COD claims to give HD gaming at console quality with fully programmable controllers. You may decide whether to team up with pals on a 100-person battle royale survival map or play the classic multiplayer maps.
Along the journey, you’ll find many goods, such as well-known characters, gorgeous clothing, accessories, and weaponry that you can use in stimulating PvP multiplayer modes.
Asphalt 9: Legends
This is the app you should check out if you’re looking for a top-notch iPhone racing game that supports controllers. The game includes plenty of diversity and a decent selection of hypercars from well-known brands, including Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, W Motors, and more. Even better, Asphalt 9 has a handy car editor that lets you modify your vehicle thoroughly.
In a single-player career mode, you may start your race and compete in more than 900 events to show off your racing prowess. There is also an online multiplayer option where you may compete against up to 7 opponents worldwide if high-octane racing is your cup of tea.
It’s relatively simple to connect an Xbox controller to iPhone or iPad.Turn your controller’s wireless connection mode on and select the device through your Apple device’s Bluetooth drop-down menu. Follow our aforementioned guide for quick guides on Xbox’s connectivity with iPhones.