One of the newest features on YouTube is YouTube Shorts. Users can mainly use it to watch and share short-form content, specifically videos that are less than a minute long. However, some users have wondered how to disable YouTube Shorts while using YouTube.
While the trend now is more focused on short-form content, some also can find YouTube Shorts very random and generic. In this guide, we’ll show you how to turn off YouTube Shorts and how to remove YouTube Shorts using a few tricks.
Read on to learn more.
Table of Contents
How to Remove YouTube Shorts
It’s fair to say that YouTube Shorts is one of the platform’s most popular features. Since its release in 2020, this feature has garnered 5 trillion views. But, if you’re not a fan of short-form content, follow the steps below to remove or disable YouTube Shorts via the YouTube app on your smartphone.
Remember to review each method and see which is the most effective.
Method #1: Select ‘Not Interested’ in All YouTube Shorts Recommendations
Most of the time, you may see YouTube Shorts recommendations on the app’s home tab and the video recommendations tab when currently watching a video. To remove Shorts suggestions on the YouTube app, you can select the Not Interested option—it’s a free and effective way to disable this feature.
To do this, follow the steps below:
- Launch the YouTube app on your phone and navigate to the home tab.
- Navigate to the string of suggested YouTube Shorts videos.
- Press and hold one Shorts video thumbnail and choose Not Interested. It will now be removed immediately.
- Do this on all Shorts suggestions; there’s a chance that YouTube’s algorithm will briefly disable YouTube Shorts.
Method #2: Use an Older Version of the YouTube App
Since YouTube released the Shorts feature in its recent app updates, you can use an older version as an alternative. Specifically, you’ll need to use the YouTube app’s 14.12.56 version to search and watch your desired videos without YouTube Shorts.
To disable YouTube Shorts by using the YouTube 14.12.56 app version, proceed to these steps:
- Download the YouTube app’s 14.12.56 version by clicking this link.
- Go to Settings > Security and set the Unknown Sources to Off.
- Next, open the APK version of the YouTube app and install it on your device.
- Once installed, go to the Google Play Store and tap on your profile thumbnail.
- Select Settings > Network preferences and choose Don’t auto-update apps. This will prevent future updates to the current YouTube app version.
- Launch the YouTube app. You can now use the app without the YouTube Shorts feature.
Method #3: View YouTube on a Browser
Another effective trick to view YouTube without YouTube Shorts is to view it using a browser. Compared to YouTube’s app version, its web version doesn’t have YouTube Shorts. So, if you want to use YouTube the old-fashioned way, try viewing it using your computer, tablet, laptop, or a mobile browser app.
YouTube’s Shorts feature is a new and popular feature that lets you view short-form content. However, it can be a bit random and annoying, especially when you don’t like most of its recommendations or you’re not a fan of short videos.
Hence, this guide helps you disable and remove YouTube Shorts using several effective methods.