Snapchat is one of the most popular instant messaging apps used on smartphones and computers today. It allows you to socialize and connect to other users through conversations and content sharing. However, some Snapchat users have asked, “how to get unbanned from Snapchat?”.
Most of the time, users will have an idea why they got banned, while others are clueless. In some situations, not only your account can get banned, but also your device. This guide will show you how to get your phone unbanned from Snapchat and methods to appeal for a Snapchat account reactivation.
Read on to know more.
Table of Contents
What Gets Someone Banned From Snapchat?
Like other social networking platforms, Snapchat has rules to help maintain a safer environment for its users. While free speech is allowed on the app and most of your conversations are kept private, bans are handed out on users who commit suspicious activities. Below are some reasons that can get you banned from Snapchat:
- Harassment and Bullying
- Sexually Explicit Content
- Impersonation, Deceptive Practices, and False Information
- Terrorism, Hate Groups, and Hate Speech (if you accidentally posted hate speech, you might want to check out How to Turn Off Camera Sound on Snapchat).
- Illegal Activity
- Threats, Violence, and Harm
Doing one of these acts publicly or through private conversations can get you banned. Typically, a ban occurs when someone reports your account or Snapchat hands out the ban themselves.
Types of Bans on Snapchat
When your account gets banned, it can vary into three main categories. Some bans are less strict, while others will get your device or account banned forever and are unretrievable. Here are the three types of bans on Snapchat:
- Temporary Ban – As its name suggests, this ban is only temporary and is the lesser among all three. This is handed out to users as a warning and is easier to bypass.
- Device Ban – Getting your device banned on Snapchat is a harsher punishment than a temporary ban. You can still access your account through the app, but it automatically logs out after a few minutes. Also, you cannot create new accounts with your banned device.
- Permanent Ban – A permanent ban is the most severe ban category in Snapchat. This kind of ban could be due to solid evidence of the forbidden acts discussed earlier. You will also get a “Your account is permanently locked” message when opening the app.
It’s important to know that a permanently banned Snapchat account cannot be accessed anymore and will not be reversed by anyone, including Snapchat Support.
Also, when wondering how to get device unbanned from Snapchat, it’s equivalent to getting a permanent ban. To solve this, you can use a different device to access Snapchat.
Methods to Get Unbanned From Snapchat
If you know that you didn’t do anything suspicious on your account yet still received a ban, you can follow the steps below to get your Snapchat account unbanned. Make sure to review each method and see which is effective for your Snapchat account.
Method #1: Unlock Your Snapchat Account
When you receive a temporary ban on Snapchat, you can attempt to unlock your account. After trying to log in to your account via the app, you can follow the steps below to unlock your Snapchat account:
- Turn on your computer and launch your default browser.
- Visit this webpage and select Unlock.
- If your account is still banned, wait for 48 hours before trying to log in to your account again.
Some people have tried uninstalling Snapchat & reinstalling – but we don’t think it is worth the risk of accidentally losing your account. If you try this, and run into trouble reinstalling Snapchat please read our guide Why is my snapchat not installing?
Method #2: Contact Snapchat Support
Another method to help you get your Snapchat account unbanned is contacting Snapchat Support. This can be your go-to option, especially when your account got a temporary ban and unlocking it didn’t work. It can also work if your device got banned, but your account didn’t get terminated.
To contact Snapchat Support to get your account unbanned, do the following:
- Open your computer’s browser and visit Snapchat Support.
- Select I can’t access my account below the What can we help you with? section.
- Below Oh no! Tell us more… select My account is locked or another applicable option.
- Provide all needed information in the form. Make sure to get detailed in explaining why the ban wasn’t reasonable. If you posted a suspicious photo publicly or in private, explain that it wasn’t intentional and you wouldn’t repeat it.
- If you don’t get any replies on your registered email, try appealing again and see if they respond.
Method #3: File a Complaint Through the Better Business Bureau
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is a private, nonprofit organization that aims to provide the public with information about charities and businesses. They also handle complaints on sites like Snapchat and will process them for free.
To file a complaint against Snapchat on BBB to get your account unbanned, proceed to these steps:
- Launch your computer’s browser and visit Snapchat’s Complaints page on Better Business Bureau.
- Select File a Complaint, and under How can we help?, select I’d like to file a complaint against a business, and have BBB… option.
- Provide all necessary details on the form. Ensure to complete the form in a detailed way and avoid blank fields unless optional.
- Wait for a reply from the BBB on your registered email and see if Snapchat took action on unbanning your account.
Getting your account banned on Snapchat is a tricky situation to be in. Usually, bans are handed out when you’ve committed one or multiple violations of Snapchat’s Terms of Service and Code of Conduct. However, it’s possible to get an unnecessary temporary ban sometimes.
Hopefully, this guide helps you get your account unbanned from Snapchat through simple and effective methods.