Before using your Xfinity cable box, you’ll need your Xfinity remote. It’s necessary when operating your Xfinity-compatible devices and doing basic commands. Also, users have asked how to program Xfinity remote.
Knowing how to program Xfinity remote to box is essential to control your Xfinity cable box from afar and have access to its features. This guide will show you how to pair Xfinity remote to TV, like remotes with the Setup button or voice remotes.
Read this guide to learn more.
Table of Contents
Types of Xfinity Remote Models
Before you program or pair your Xfinity remote to your TV or cable box, you must know what type of Xfinity remote model you own. Depending on the remote, its pairing steps can vary with other Xfinity remotes. You can find its model number at the back of the remote or inside its battery compartment.
Here are the most common Xfinity remote models:
- XR2 – Non-voice Remote
- XR5 – Non-voice Remote
- XR11 – Voice Remote
- XR15 – Voice Remote
- XR16 – Voice Remote
- Digital Adapter Remote
How to Program an Xfinity Remote
Once you know the type of Xfinity remote you have, you can look at the pairing steps below to pair it to your desired device. Remember to review each method and see which one is the most effective for your Xfinity remote:
Important: Please ensure that your Xfinity remote is operational and has working batteries before following the pairing steps below.
Method #1: Using the Online Code Lookup Tool
One of the most convenient ways to program Xfinity remote to TV or other devices is using Xfinity’s Online Code Lookup Tool. It lists all supported Xfinity remotes and guides you with the necessary steps to pair your remote to your desired device.
To pair your Xfinity remote using the Online Code Lookup Tool, follow these steps:
- Open the browser app on your smartphone or computer and visit this link.
- Select the type of Voice remote that you have and choose Continue.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to pair your remote.
If you cannot find the code in the online lookup tool and your Xfinity remote has a Setup button, follow the steps below:
- Switch on your TV.
- Next, press and hold the Setup button on the remote until the LED indicator’s color changes from red to green.
- Enter the code 9-9-1. The remote light will blink green twice.
- Press the CH ^ button on the remote until your TV switches off.
- After the TV turns off, press the Setup button to save the code.
- Try turning your TV on using the Xfinity remote and check if it works.
If your remote doesn’t have a Setup button but has number buttons (XR15 Voice Remote), proceed to these steps:
- Turn on your TV.
- Press the Xfinity and Mute buttons on the remote simultaneously for five seconds or until the remote light changes from red to green.
- Input the first five-digit code for the TV manufacturer. Once the remote blinks green twice, the code is correct. If it flashes red and then green, try another code.
- Press the Power button on the remote and check if the TV turns off. Once it does, try checking if the Mute and Volume buttons are working. But if your TV doesn’t turn off, try using another pairing code.
If your Xfinity remote doesn’t have a Setup button and has no number buttons (XR16 Voice Remote), do the following:
- Turn on your TV and Xfinity cable box.
- Activate the Xfinity remote by pulling its tab on the back.
- Aim the remote at your cable box and press the Microphone button.
- Follow the on-screen steps to finish the pairing process.
- Once your remote is already paired to your cable box, but you also want to program it to your TV, press and hold the Microphone button and say: “Program remote.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish programming the Xfinity remote to your TV.
Method #2: Using the Xfinity My Account App
One alternative way that you can use to program your Xfinity remote to TV and other Xfinity-compatible devices is through the Xfinity My Account app. Besides allowing you to manage your Xfinity account, it also has programming instructions for various Xfinity remotes.
To program your Xfinity remote to your TV or audio devices using Xfinity My Account, follow the steps below:
- Download and install the Xfinity My Account app on your Android or iOS device.
- Launch the app and log in using your Xfinity account credentials.
- Select the TV icon and choose your TV box.
- Tap Setup a remote and find the Xfinity remote model you want to program. Select it and tap Continue.
- Choose TV or Audio/Other and follow the on-screen steps.
Xfinity remotes are versatile devices you can use with your cable box, TV, and other Xfinity-compatible devices. However, you’ll need to program it to your desired device before using your Xfinity remote to control other devices, like your TV or an audio device.
Hopefully, this guide helps you learn more about programming various Xfinity remote models. If the steps above didn’t work, try contacting Xfinity Support for more help.