TCL Roku TVs are one of the best budget smart TVs you can get today. The brand is known for its superb picture quality and features. However, few Roku TV users have wondered how to reset TCL Roku TV.
A TCL TV reset is sometimes necessary, especially when your smart TV is crashing when opening certain apps and is slow to respond to basic remote commands. This guide will show you how to factory reset TCL Roku TV easily.
Read on to learn more.
Table of Contents
When Do I Need to Perform a TCL Roku TV Reset?
Resetting your TCL Roku TV can solve most of its issues, especially when experiencing software problems. A factory reset returns your smart TV to its factory state, which can help in improving its overall performance. Here are some reasons why you should reset your TCL Roku TV:
- It shows a black screen when launching an app or feature
- Your smart TV’s performance has slowed down dramatically
- An app has frequent errors or suddenly crashes
- It is slow to boot or has too many apps
- You have installed a corrupt firmware update
If you’ve experienced one or more reasons above, you should consider resetting your TCL Roku TV.
How to Reset TCL Roku TV
You can try various methods when resetting your TCL Roku TV to its out-of-the-box state. However, make sure that you have a working Roku TV remote to make this process easier. Remember to review each method and see which one is the most effective for your TCL Roku TV:
Method #1: Restart Your TCL Roku TV
One quick way to solve Roku TV’s black screen issues is through a simple restart. This works by re-initializing your smart TV’s internal components and fixing bugs that may be causing the problem. There are two ways to restart your TCL Roku TV:
Doing a Soft Reboot or a Power Cycle
- Turn off your Roku TV and disconnect its power cable from the socket.
- Wait for ten minutes to drain the power. You can also press the Power button on the side of the TV for five seconds for the same purpose.
- Plug the power cable back in and turn on your TCL Roku TV. Check if the problem is solved.
Doing a Restart via the Roku TV Remote:
- With your TCL Roku TV switched on, press the following button combination on the Roku TV remote:
- Home button five times,
- Up button once,
- Rewind button twice, and
- Fast Forward button twice.
- Your Roku TV will now reset automatically.
- After the reset process, wait for your TCL Roku TV to boot up and check if the black screen issue is solved.
Method #2: Perform a Factory Reset on Your TCL Roku TV
A factory reset effectively returns your smart TV to its factory state. It wipes your TCL Roku TV’s data, including your downloaded apps, saved accounts, passwords, and other preferences. However, it’s a great solution to most Roku TV issues, especially when it cannot be solved by a soft reset alone.
To perform a factory reset on your TCL Roku TV, follow these steps:
- Turn on your TCL Roku TV. On the remote, press the Home button and go to Settings.
- Navigate to System > Advanced system settings and choose Factory reset.
- Select Factory reset everything and enter the code displayed on the screen.
- Wait for the factory reset process to finish.
- Once done, set up your TCL Roku TV and see if all issues were fixed.
Method #3: Restore Your TCL Roku TV via Recovery Mode
If the reset methods above don’t work, your last resort is restoring your Roku TV via Recovery Mode. It’s similar to a factory reset but focuses on reinstalling the TV’s current operating system to solve all issues. However, this reset method is considered the most invasive; hence, proceed to the steps with caution.
To restore your TCL Roku TV via Recovery Mode, do the following:
- Find the pinhole Reset button on your Roku TV. It may be located at the back, near the antenna, or beside the audio and HDMI ports.
- With your TCL Roku TV switched on, use a paperclip or any similar object to push and hold the button for at least 20 seconds. Your Roku TV will now show the Recovery Mode screen.
- Follow the on-screen instructions on setting up your Wi-Fi connection.
- Then, select Update Now. Wait for the TV to finish downloading and installing the latest firmware update for your TCL Roku TV.
- Next, follow the rest of the on-screen steps to set up your Roku TV.
If you experience your TCL Roku TV stuck in Recovery Mode, try contacting TCL Support for further assistance.
Resetting your TCL Roku TV is sometimes necessary, especially when experiencing software and performance issues. However, you may wonder how to reset your TCL Roku TV if you do it the first time. Hopefully, this guide helps you with the various reset methods you can try when resetting your TCL Roku TV.