Nowadays, Instagram hosts many influencers, businesses, and celebrities. As an avid user, you might have followed these personalities over the years. But, you may wonder how to mass unfollow Instagram.
It’s sometimes necessary to review the accounts you’re following, especially when they are inactive, or you don’t want their content on your Instagram feed. This guide will show you various methods to mass unfollow on Instagram.
Read this guide to learn more.
Table of Contents
Methods to Mass Unfollow on Instagram
If you didn’t know yet, you could only follow a maximum of 7,500 accounts on your Instagram profile. While this may be too many for some, it can also go unnoticed once you’ve been on the platform for a long time and have followed various accounts over the years.
However, mass unfollowing on Instagram is not recommended, so you’ll need to set a limit of 50 unfollowed accounts at a time to avoid getting banned or restricted due to suspicious activity.
Here are some ways that you can try to unfollow profiles on Instagram. Remember to review each method and check which one is the most effective for your account:
Method #1: Unfollow Accounts Manually via the Following List
The quickest and most recommended way to unfollow accounts on Instagram is by doing it manually via the Following list on your profile. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open Instagram on your smartphone and press the Profile button at the bottom-right corner of the app to access your profile.
- Tap the Following icon to access the Instagram accounts you’re actively following.
- Tap the Least interacted with option to find Instagram accounts you have fewer interactions with. Also, you can sort the list to Earliest to find all accounts you’ve followed since you started using Instagram.
- To unfollow an account, tap the Following button. Once unfollowed, it will change to the blue Follow button.
It’s always ideal to unfollow inactive accounts. You’ll notice this by taking a look at these factors:
- Doesn’t post stories or have no colored ring on their profile for a while.
- Their Instagram bio shows that they’re inactive on the platform.
- The latest post on their profile was months or years ago.
Also, you can unfollow accounts or brands you don’t find useful on your feed. Remember to unfollow only 50 accounts at a time to avoid getting flagged by Instagram for suspicious activity.
Method #2: Unfollow on Instagram Using Third-party Apps
Another way to mass unfollow accounts on Instagram is through third-party apps. These apps have the ability to list all inactive accounts, which you can then unfollow via the app.
However, take note that the aggressive use of these apps can get your account restricted or banned from the platform—so proceed with caution:
As its name suggests, Mass Unfollow for Instagram allows users to bulk unfollow Instagram accounts from their profile and does mass blocking, unlike posts, bulk deleting of media, and much more. It’s an effective tool overall for social media management.
Another app that can help you track your followers and the accounts you follow is Follower Track for Instagram. It features the ability to show all inactive profiles you follow and accounts that don’t follow you back. You can also unfollow accounts via the app.
The users you follow on Instagram can determine the content you see on your feed. However, some of these accounts can go inactive over time or become disinteresting. Hopefully, this guide helps you know more about how to mass unfollow on Instagram using effective methods.