Sony’s PS4 is one of the most powerful console devices on the market. Since its release in 2013, it supports 3000+ physical and digital games in its game library. It competes with Microsoft’s Xbox One and Nintendo’s Wii U and Switch.
Although it’s one of the greater consoles out there, the PS4 reportedly comes with hardware problems. Some users said that their PS4 is making a loud noise from its fan. In this guide, we’ll answer why your PS4 makes a loud fan noise and how to fix it.
Read on to learn more.
Table of Contents
Why is My PS4 Fan So Loud?
If you’ve used your PS4 for a while now, chances are it might develop hardware problems—among them is a loud fan. As a part of the ventilation system of your console, built-in fans help to cool down and maintain the console to an optimal temperature. If you’re experiencing a loud fan noise, it is due to several reasons:
- Dust – An infamous culprit to ventilation problems of devices is dust. Depending on where you’re keeping your PS4, dust can easily enter inside the unit and accumulate over time. While you’re cleaning the dust on your console’s casing, it’s hard to notice the accumulated dust inside your PS4.
- Graphics-heavy Games – If you’re an avid user of games and apps with 4K resolution or more, your console has to work a lot more to maintain the same resolution throughout the session. It, therefore, leads to a loud fan that’s working hard to cool down and regulate the console’s inside temperature.
- Loose Screws and Debris – When you’re hearing a rattling noise from the console, chances are there’s a loose screw that came off due to wear and tear. Also, debris can enter the unit via its vents. If you’re experiencing this, it’s necessary to open your console and find the object that’s causing a loud noise.
- Damaged Fan – Damaged fan blades can cause the console to make unusual noises and overheat faster. When this happens, it’s best to replace the fan with a new one that’s compatible with your PS4.
How to Fix PS4 Loud Fan Issue
If you’re tired of hearing the loud fan noise your console makes, here are some fixes that you can try. Remember to go through them individually and see which one works for you.
Fix #1: Place your PS4 in a Well Ventilated Area
In case you didn’t know, your PS4 has cooling vents both at the sides and the back. Blocking one or all of these vents with objects can cause the console to overheat and make a loud fan noise. Remove anything that’s on top and sides of the console and check if the fan noise tones down.
If you can, try using your console in a cool area. This will help the console’s cooling system and may eliminate the loud fan noise your PS4 makes.
Fix #2: Put your PS4 in a Vertical Position
Usually, PS4s are positioned in a horizontal position since it’s designed that way. Although it’s said to offer the best gaming experience when laid down horizontally, there’s no harm in trying to position it vertically.
Some users reportedly solved the PS4 loud fan issue by positioning their console vertically and away from objects and dusty areas. If this trick doesn’t work, it’s safe to assume that your console has dust problems inside.
Fix #3: Use Compressed Air
A common way to dislodge clumped-up dust on the console’s vents is by using a can of compressed air. It is an effective way of cleaning the vents without opening the console’s casing. You can also use a soft brush to make the job quicker.
Before going straight to cleaning, make sure to wear a protective mask to avoid breathing in dust from your nose and mouth. Also, cool down your console first before using compressed air as a precautionary measure.
When cleaning the vents, make sure that you’re dislodging all dust that’s on the way to let cool air go inside. Go over all the console’s vents before turning it on and checking if the loud fan noise is gone.
Fix #4: Open your PS4 Console and Clean From the Inside
If you tried all the fixes above, the last thing to try is to clean your PS4 console by opening it. This will require you to have compatible Torx screwdrivers to remove all Torx screws that are holding the casing in place. Also, make sure that your console is unplugged for a few minutes to avoid the risk of electric shock.
Important: Opening your console yourself or to any unauthorized service center removes its warranty. So, if you’re experiencing this problem during its warranty period (one year from the date of purchase), we recommend that you visit Sony’s Authorized Service Centers since they can potentially fix it for you for free.
To open your PS4 and clean it from the inside, follow these steps:
- Use a Torx T8 or T9 screw bit attachment to remove all outside screws. If you don’t have one, you can easily buy it in the nearest hardware store or online.
- Remove all four screws at the back of your PS4 and set the plastic cover aside.
- In this space, you should see the console’s fan. Clean the dust out as much as you can using a soft brush and compressed air.
- Once it’s clean, you can also go over the vents once again to clear out all dust and debris.
- Next, leave the console open for thirty minutes to let any excess liquids and gas from the compressed air evaporate.
- Once enough time has elapsed, return the plastic cover along with all four Torx screws.
- Plug your console back in and turn it on.
- Check if the console’s fan is still making a loud noise.
The PS4, like other consoles and devices, will eventually face hardware problems. One of the common issues that you’ll experience is a loud fan noise inside of your console. It’s critical to solve this problem as early as possible because the built-in fan is a huge part of your PS4’s cooling system.
Hence, this guide will hopefully help you in fixing the loud fan issue on your PS4. As mentioned earlier, you can try contacting Sony Consumer Electronics Support once your PS4 is still under warranty or you just want the problem to be fixed by a trained professional.