Owning a PS5 is always considered a great investment. It has a powerful GPU, CPU, and SSD; all are responsible for fast processing speeds and sharp graphics, regardless of the game that you’re playing. Overall, it’s better than its predecessor, the PS4.
That being said, the PS5 has problems that were experienced by various users. One issue is when their PS5 randomly turns on. This booting issue can be bothersome and can cause anxiety on your part. In this guide, we’ll show you why is your PS5 turning on by itself and how to fix it.
Table of Contents
“Why Does My PS5 Turn On By Itself?”—Most Common Reasons
If you have a PS5 on standby after shutting down, and it suddenly beeps then turns on, it may be due to these reasons below:
- HDMI Device Link is Enabled – PS5s have a feature where it’s directly linked to your HDMI device. So, whenever you turn on your TV, the console also turns on in response. Turning this feature off can solve this issue.
- Rest Mode is Enabled – Another reason why your PS5 turns on after shut down is due to the Rest Mode feature. Your PS5 will turn on by itself when it’s downloading updates or uploading cloud data while on Rest Mode.
- Remote Play – Your PS5 can be remotely turned on via the PS app on your other device. Once synced, it’s possible to turn it on unintentionally, therefore causing the console to turn on by itself.
How to Fix PS5 When It Turns On By Itself
Here are the most common workarounds when your PS5 turns on by itself. Remember to go over each of these methods to see which one works best for your console.
Method #1: Disable HDMI Device Link
If you have several accessories that are connected to your PS5 via HDMI, they can trigger your console to turn on once you switch on these devices. This is due to the HDMI Device Link feature, which you can disable in the System settings.
To disable HDMI Device Link on PS5, follow these steps:
- Turn on your PS5 and go to Settings.
- Select System and choose HDMI.
- Find the Enable HDMI Device Link option and turn it off.
- Switch off your device and wait for a while to see if it still turns on by itself.
Method #2: Disable Internet Connectivity in Rest Mode
While on Rest Mode, your console can be switched on if it’s still connected to the internet. Most of the time, it will turn on randomly to download software updates and upload data to its cloud storage. You can disable this feature so your console will only be connected to the internet when you’re using it.
To disable internet connectivity in Rest Mode on PS5, proceed to these steps:
- Launch the Settings app and go to Power Settings.
- Select Features Available in Rest Mode and disable Stay connected to the internet.
- Also, disable the Enable Turning on PS5 from Network option.
- Turn off your PS5 and see if the issue is solved.
Method #3: Turn Off Remote Play
Remote play is a handy feature on your PS5 that enables you to control it remotely via the PS5 app, given that both devices are synced. However, this can cause problems such as turning on your device unintentionally.
To disable Remote Play on your PS5, do the following:
- Turn on your PS5 and navigate to Settings > System.
- Choose Remote Play and turn off the Enable Remote Play option.
- Switch off your console and see if it still turns on by itself.
The PS5 is a powerful console for gaming, streaming, and internet browsing. It is known to be a great investment, especially when you’re looking forward to playing all the latest game releases in the PlayStation Store. But, you’re sometimes bound to face issues like when your PS5 turns on by itself.
Hopefully, this guide can help you to fix this annoying console issue. If you’re still experiencing the same problems on your console, visit the PlayStation Repairs diagnostic for further help.