One of the most popular games in 2020 was Valorant—a multiplayer first-person tactical hero shooter by Riot Games. It’s only available on Windows PCs and is free to play. However, some Valorant players have recently experienced issues, like Valorant voice chat not working.
Having voice communication in your games on Valorant is critical to increasing your chances of winning and ranking up. This guide will show you various fixes to solve Valorant voice not working. Read this guide to learn more.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Valorant Mic Not Working
Mic problems are annoying but quite common in most online multiplayer FPS games. Here are some troubleshooting methods you can try to fix the voice chat feature on Valorant. Remember to review each fix and see which one helps you the most:
Fix #1: Check the Voice Chat Settings
The first thing you should do when experiencing mic problems on Valorant is check if the primary voice chat features—Party Voice and Team Voice Chats—are toggled On. Sometimes, these might be set to Off, preventing you from doing voice chats with other players.
To check the voice chat settings on Valorant, follow these steps:
- Launch Valorant on your computer and go to Settings > Audio.
- Select the Voice Chat tab and ensure that the Party Voice Chat and Team Voice Chat options are On.
- If you’re using Push to Talk, remember your Current push-to-talk (PTT) key, indicated at the bottom of the Party Voice Activation Mode and Team Voice Chat options.
- Choose Close Settings and restart Valorant.
Fix #2: Allow Microphone Access For Valorant
Apps on the Windows OS can sometimes be required to have microphone access. This enables you to use the default microphone set on your computer for voice chats in games like Valorant and other programs.
To allow microphone access for Valorant, follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the Speaker icon in your computer’s taskbar and choose Open Sound Settings.
- Under Input, select Microphone and click Allow on the Audio option.
- Then, choose Privacy & security on the left pane. Under App permissions, click Microphone.
- Toggle Microphone access to On.
You can also check if your main audio accessory is set as the default input device. To do this, proceed to these steps:
- Right-click the Speaker icon on the taskbar and select Open Sound Settings.
- Click the dropdown menu under the Input section and make sure that your headphones or earphones are selected.
Afterward, reboot your computer and check if your mic is working on Valorant.
Fix #3: Check the Input and Output Audio Devices on Valorant
You might experience sound issues on Valorant once you’ve selected the incorrect audio devices in the game’s audio settings. To check if your default audio device is set on Valorant’s Voice Chat settings, do the following:
- Launch Valorant and navigate to Settings > Audio.
- Select Voice Chat and ensure that the Output Device and Input Device options are set to Default System Device.
You can also set the microphone volume to a higher or lower level using the slider on the Mic Volume setting.
Fix #4: Update the Audio Drivers on Your Computer
Another factor that might cause mic problems on Windows is outdated audio drivers. Typically, driver updates are installed during a Windows Update; however, you can update audio drivers manually using the steps below:
- Right-click the Start Menu on the taskbar and choose Device Manager.
- Expand Audio inputs and outputs and right-click the Microphone (High Definition Audio Device) option. Select Update driver from the options.
- On the popup window, select Search automatically for the drivers and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once the latest audio driver is installed, reboot your computer and check if your microphone is now working.
Once the mic problem isn’t solved, you can reinstall your computer’s microphone driver. To do this, follow the steps below:
- On the Device Manager window, expand the Audio inputs and outputs option and right-click your computer’s default Microphone.
- Choose Uninstall Device. Once uninstalled, restart your computer and check if the issue is fixed.
If you found this article useful, be sure to check out our Tenz Valorant Settings guide, which lists his favorite setups.
Whether playing Valorant alone or with friends, using the voice chat feature in-game is a great tool to help you win more games. It’s essential for team communication, which can be needed in highly-competitive matches. But it’s possible to experience issues with voice chat on Valorant.
Hopefully, this guide helps you to solve the Valorant voice chat not working issue.