TikTok is one of the most popular apps today and is home to the latest trends shown through short-form videos. It’s also a great marketing platform for small businesses, online sellers, gaming, and more. However, some users have asked why does my TikTok keep resetting?
TikTok reset is caused by various reasons, including an outdated app version, bugs, and an unstable internet connection. This guide will show you how to fix the TikTok app when it keeps resetting on your smartphone.
Read on to know more.
Table of Contents
“Why Does My TikTok Keep Resetting?” – Most Common Fixes
The first thing that you can check when your TikTok app keeps resetting is the platform’s server. If TikTok’s down due to server issues or scheduled maintenance, you cannot view videos from your For You Page (FYP) and Saved page until it’s back up. To view the app’s server status, check DownDetector or TikTok’s official social media pages.
If their server is up and running, yet you’re still unable to view your desired videos, here are some fixes you can try. Remember to review each fix and check which one is the most effective for you:
Fix #1: Check Your Internet Connection
Like other bandwidth-heavy apps on your phone, you’ll need a stable internet connection when using TikTok. Slow Wi-Fi connections can lead to videos often buffering and app restarts, which is annoying. However, you can try power cycling your Wi-Fi router to fix slow internet connections.
To power cycle your router, follow these steps:
- Turn off your router and unplug its power adapter from the socket.
- Wait for one minute to drain the power.
- Plug the power adapter back in and turn on your router.
- Let your devices connect automatically, and check if your Wi-Fi speed returns to normal.
Once it’s still slow, you can consider switching to a mobile data connection to view TikTok videos and check if this solves the issue.
Fix #2: Restart Your Smartphone
Another fix to most in-app bugs on your phone is by restarting it. This reboots all background apps, including ones that might be experiencing glitches. To restart an iPhone, long-press the Side/Wake button on the device and swipe the Power slider to turn it off completely. Next, press the Side button until the Apple logo shows on the screen to turn it on.
If you’re using an Android device, press and hold the Power button on your phone and select Restart from the Power Options. Once finished, launch TikTok and check if the resetting problem is solved.
Fix #3: Clear TikTok’s Cache and App Data
Like other apps, TikTok saves temporary app data—like cache—on your phone to improve its performance. However, you’ll sometimes need to delete this data once it causes bugs in the app.
To clear TikTok’s app data on your Android device, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Settings app and navigate to Apps & Notifications.
- Find TikTok from the list of apps and tap on it.
- Select Storage & Cache and tap Clear Cache. Then, select Clear App Data afterward.
- Once finished, open TikTok and log back into your account. See if the issue is fixed.
Fix #4: Change Your Password on TikTok
Another workaround that can fix the TikTok reset problem is changing your TikTok account’s password. This can fix account bugs since you’ll be forced to re-login to your account if you change your password.
To change the password for your TikTok account, proceed to these steps:
- Open TikTok on your smartphone and go to the Me tab at the bottom.
- Select More (three horizontal dots) on the screen and choose Manage My Account. Select Password.
- You will now receive a four-digit code (OTP) on the phone number associated with your account. It will be a six-digit code when you’ve used your email address to register to TikTok.
- Input the code and enter your desired new password in the field.
- Once finished, tap Next and restart TikTok.
- Log in to your account with the new password and check if the app now works normally.
Fix #5: Reinstall TikTok on Your Smartphone
Once all fixes don’t work, the last workaround you can do to solve the TikTok reset issue is to reinstall the app on your smartphone. This way, your phone will run the latest app version of TikTok with new features and fewer bugs.
To reinstall TikTok from an iOS device, follow the steps below:
- Open your iPhone and go to the home screen.
- Press and hold on TikTok’s app icon until a list of options appears. Select Remove App.
- Once removed, launch the App Store and search for the TikTok app via the Search tab.
- Tap Get on the download page and wait for it to be installed on your device.
- Launch TikTok and log in to your account. Check if the issue is solved.
To reinstall TikTok from an Android smartphone, follow these steps:
- Launch Settings and go to Apps & Notifications.
- Choose TikTok from the list of apps and select Uninstall.
- Next, go to the Play Store and search for the TikTok app using the search bar.
- Select Install on the download page and wait for the app to be added to your phone.
- Open TikTok and log in to your account. See if the app now works normally.
While TikTok is one of the most used apps today on iOS and Android, it can have some bugs and glitches from time to time. This includes the TikTok reset issue, which has affected many users recently.
Hopefully, this guide helps you know how to solve this resetting issue on the TikTok app. If these fixes don’t work, contact TikTok Help Center for further assistance.