Vizio TVs are popular choices for smart TVs due to their great picture quality and affordability. The smart TV comes with various preinstalled apps and a Vizio remote. To open apps on your Vizio TV, you’ll need to press the V button on the Vizio remote.
However, there are some cases where you’ve wondered how to download apps on Vizio TV without V button. This guide will show you how to add apps to Vizio TV not in app store using different workarounds that you can try.
Read this guide to know more.
Table of Contents
Can You Download More Apps on a Vizio Smart TV?
Yes. But it can depend on the platform that is installed on your Vizio TV. Each model year can have a different platform and can limit your download options. Here are the four most common Vizio TV platforms:
- Vizio SmartCast 4K UHD TVs – These were released after 2018 and on some Vizio TVs from 2016 to 2017. It won’t allow you to install apps externally, but, you can use other methods, such as screencasting.
- Vizio SmartCast HD TVs – This platform was used in Vizio TV models that were released from 2016 to 2017. Compared to 4K UHD TVs, the platform on HD TVs usually doesn’t have any pre-installed apps and will only allow you to download from the Connected TV store. However, you can use screencasting as an alternative option.
- Vizio Internet Apps Plus (VIA Plus) – This platform was launched and used on Vizio TV models that were released from 2013 to 2017. It mainly uses the Connected TV Store as a way to install new apps.
- Vizio Internet Apps (VIA) – The VIA platform was used for Vizio smart TVs that were launched before 2013.
How to Download Apps on Vizio TV (With V Button)
Besides the preinstalled apps on your Vizio TV, you can add new ones by going to the Connected TV Store. It contains apps that are supported by your Vizio smart TV. To download apps on your Vizio TV, follow these steps:
- Open your Vizio TV and press the V button on the Vizio remote.
- Choose Connected TV Store > All Apps.
- Search for your desired app and choose OK.
- Choose Install App to install your desired app on your Vizio smart TV.
Downloading Apps to Vizio TV Without V Button
Vizio TVs have a dedicated app store that contains the most supported apps. However, there are cases where you cannot find an app on the app store or it’s simply not listed there. Fortunately, most Vizio TVs support Android apps, which can be downloaded for free on the internet from a trusted source.
Here are some methods that you can try to download apps on your Vizio TV without using the V button. Remember to go over each method and see which works best for your Vizio smart TV.
Method #1: Download Apps Using the Vizio Internet Apps (VIA) Plus Platform
The Vizio Internet Apps Plus (VIA Plus) platform was used for Vizio TVs that were released from 2013 to 2017. It’s an alternative way to download apps to your Vizio TV without using the V button.
To download apps to your Vizio TV using VIA Plus, follow the steps below:
- Turn on your smart TV and ensure that it’s connected to a stable WiFi network.
- Using the remote, press the Home button two times. The VIA app interface will now be shown on the screen.
- Navigate to All Apps and search for the app that you want to install.
- Select it, then, press and hold the OK button on the remote until the app proceeds to install.
Method #2: Sideload Apps to Your Vizio Smart TV
A popular way to install apps apart from your smart TV’s app store is through sideloading. This way, you can install apps on your smart TV from a trusted, third-party source. It’s also effective when your smart TV doesn’t have a stable wireless connection.
Important: You’ll need a flash drive where you can store the APK and is compatible with your Vizio TV. Make sure to download to trusted APK sources like this link.
To sideload apps to your Vizio smart TV, proceed to these steps:
- Open your computer and insert the flash drive.
- Launch Chrome or a similar browser and go to a trusted APK site to search for your desired app.
- Download the APK and store it on the flash drive. Eject it from your computer.
- Next, turn off your Vizio TV and unplug its power cord from the socket.
- Connect the flash drive and plug the power cable back in.
- Turn on your Vizio TV and wait for the flash drive to be detected.
- Install the APK and check if it is listed on your Vizio TV’s apps.
This method does not use your remote at all, which is great if it has stopped working. We also have a guide on how to turn on your Vizio TV without a remote.
Method #3: Screencast Apps from Your Android Phone to your Vizio Smart TV
If you’re unable to download apps on your Vizio TV externally, you can try to screencast content from your smartphone to your Vizio TV. This works well if you’re trying to install certain streaming apps that are not available on the Connected TV Store or VIA Plus.
Note: First, connect your Vizio TV and smartphone to the same wireless network before following the steps below.
To screencast content from your phone to your Vizio TV, do the following:
- On your phone, launch your desired streaming app and log in to your account.
- Watch a movie or TV show. Then, press the Cast button that’s placed on the top-right portion of the screen.
- Turn on your Vizio TV and select it on the device list. Content from your phone will now be cast to your smart TV.
Method #4: Cast Streaming Apps from an iOS Device to your Vizio TV Using AirPlay
If you’re using an iOS device—such as an iPhone or iPad—you can use AirPlay as a casting option to cast content to your Vizio TV from a streaming app or service. Ensure that both the iOS device and your Vizio TV are connected to the same WiFi network.
To cast streaming apps from an iOS device to your Vizio TV via AirPlay, follow these steps:
- On your iPhone, launch a streaming app and log in to your account.
- Watch your desired movie or TV show. Then, tap the AirPlay icon on the top-right side of the screen.
- Switch on your Vizio TV and press the V button on the remote. Then, go to Extras > AirPlay and make sure that it’s toggled to On.
- Select your Vizio TV from the list of AirPlay devices. Content from your iPhone will now be shown to your Vizio TV.
Method #5: Screencast From Your Computer to Vizio TV
Another method that you can try to cast content to your Vizio smart TV is by using your computer or laptop. After connecting both devices to the same wireless network, proceed to the following steps:
- Turn on your Vizio TV.
- On your computer, launch the Chrome browser and select More options (three-dot button) on the top-right side of the screen.
- Select Cast from the dropdown options and choose your Vizio TV on the list of devices.
- Navigate to the website of your desired streaming service and start streaming content. It will be shown on your Vizio TV.
Most Vizio TVs come with pre-installed apps that you can use to have quick access to certain sites and services. However, there are some cases where you cannot find and download an app by using the V button alone. Hopefully, these methods help you to add apps to your Vizio TV by using effective workarounds.