Anime is considered to be mainstream content for Otakus (anime enthusiasts) and casual viewers alike. Compared with anime, manga is a graphic novel that’s released faster due to quick publishing work. Among the most popular apps that support anime, manga, and dorama (Japanese drama) is Crunchyroll.
You can stream Crunchyroll for free on your computer, laptop, smartphone, and other smart devices if it supports the Crunchyroll app. However, it’s not always the case for other smart TVs such as the Samsung Smart TV. In this guide, we’ll show some workarounds when you don’t have the Crunchyroll TV app on your Samsung TV.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Watch Crunchyroll on TV
- 2 How to Get Crunchyroll on Your Samsung TV
- 3 Final Thoughts
How to Watch Crunchyroll on TV
With Crunchyroll, you can stream high-definition (HD) anime content through your device for free. It’s a problem however if your device is not supported by Crunchyroll. To know the compatible streaming devices with the Crunchyroll TV app, refer to the list below:
- Android devices and smart TVs
- Apple devices
- Roku streaming devices, such as Roku smart TV and Roku Streaming Stick
- Amazon Fire TV
- PlayStation 3, 4, and 5 and other portable gaming consoles like PS Vita
- Xbox One
- Nintendo Wii U
- Computers that run Windows, Mac, and Linux OS
Although devices such as the Samsung smart TV, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii had Crunchyroll support, they were eventually ruled out due to various reasons. But, there are still some methods that you can try to get Crunchyroll on Samsung TV.
How to Get Crunchyroll on Your Samsung TV
Usually, when you have a Crunchyroll account, you can stream HD anime series, dorama, and read the latest manga editions for free. But if you’re using an unsupported device like a Samsung smart TV, you can try these methods to stream Crunchyroll content directly to your smart TV.
Make sure to go over these methods one by one to see which method works best.
Method #1: Download the Plex App
Plex is a free streaming service that you can use on your Samsung smart TV. With the Plex app, you can stream various media content, such as movies, music, TV shows, and even anime. To download the Plex app on your Samsung smart TV, follow these steps:
- Turn on your Samsung smart TV and connect to a stable Wi-Fi network.
- Using the remote, press the Smart Hub button and go to the Apps section.
- Search for the keyword “plex” in the Search function and select it to go to the download page.
- Choose the Install button to install Plex on your Samsung TV.
- Once it’s installed, launch the Plex app and create a new account. You can also choose the Sign In button if you have an existing account.
- To link your existing account, you’ll need to enter the activation code that’s displayed on the TV screen to Plex’s activation website using another device.
- Next, select Link. Your Plex account is now linked to your Samsung TV’s Plex app.
- Navigate to the Crunchyroll channel to stream your favorite anime for free.
Method #2: Use an Over-the-Top or OTT device
Over-the-Top devices allow you to stream multimedia content through several smart devices. Usually, OTT devices are supported by various streaming services and are easy to set up once you have a stable wireless connection.
Mainstream devices such as Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, and Chromecast, are only a few of the OTT devices that are available in the market. After setting up an OTT device on your Samsung smart TV, you can easily watch popular streaming services such as Crunchyroll.
Method #3: Cast Crunchyroll via AirPlay (iOS Devices)
If you’re using an iOS device along with your Samsung smart TV, you can use AirPlay to cast content from your iPad or iPhone to your smart TV. Samsung TV models that are 2018 or later usually support AirPlay, so just keep that in mind.
To cast Crunchyroll on your Samsung smart TV via AirPlay, follow the steps below:
- Using your iOS device, open the Crunchyroll app and make sure that your account is signed in.
- Turn on your Samsung smart TV and connect both your TV and iOS device to a common wireless network.
- Play an anime that you want to cast on your Samsung TV and tap the AirPlay button.
- From the list of devices, select your Samsung smart TV.
- Your device will now start to cast anime content to your smart TV.
Method #4: Cast Crunchyroll via Smart View (Samsung Devices)
Similar to AirPlay, Samsung also has its version of screencasting support via Smart View. If your Samsung device runs on Android OS 4.3 or greater, it should support Smart View. Also, besides Samsung smart TVs, you can use Smart View on various smart TVs that run an Android OS.
To cast Crunchyroll to your Samsung smart TV via Smart View, proceed to these steps:
- On your Samsung phone, open the Crunchyroll app and login into your account.
- Open your Samsung TV and connect both the smart TV and phone to a common wireless network.
- Stream your selected anime content on your phone and tap the Cast button.
- Under Smart View, select your Samsung smart TV.
- You can now stream anime content from the Crunchyroll app on your phone to your Samsung TV.
Method #5: Connect your Computer or Laptop via HDMI
If you’re using a laptop or computer to stream anime content via the Crunchyroll website, you can connect both devices via HDMI. Assuming that your laptop or computer has an HDMI port, you can link both devices via a double-ended HDMI cable connection.
After both devices are connected, you can now navigate to the Crunchyroll website and stream your favorite anime movies and series for free.
These methods should enable you to watch Cruncyroll on your TV without any problems. If your TV is behaving oddly after one of these methods, we have an article which explains how to stop your Samsung TV turning Off and On randomly.
Crunchyroll is one of the best streaming services that offer exclusive anime, manga, and dorama content. Although it’s for free, you can watch premium and ad-free anime content from Crunchyroll once you avail of their subscription.
Therefore, this article can hopefully guide you on streaming anime content from Crunchyroll using different, easy-to-follow methods.