Disney Plus is an over-the-top (OTT) video streaming service that’s owned by The Walt Disney Company. Launched in November 2019, it primarily features TV episodes and films produced by The Walt Disney Studios and Walt Disney Television. It also provides content from featured brands and studios, such as Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic.
When subscribed to its Premium, ad-free version, you have the option to download content and play them offline. But, some Disney plus subscribers reportedly experienced Disney plus offline not working. In this guide, we’ll show you what causes this issue and how to fix the Disney Plus downloads not working problem on your streaming device.
Read this guide to learn more.
Table of Contents
“Why Won’t My Disney Plus Downloads Play Offline?”—Most Common Reasons
This issue happens when you cannot play or access your downloaded movies and TV shows in the Disney Plus app on your device. Here are the most common reasons why your Disney Plus downloads won’t play offline:
- Outdated App – If your phone or smart TV doesn’t update apps automatically, chances are you’re using an outdated version of the Disney Plus app. This can cause problems with its features, including access to downloaded media. Try updating the app from your device’s app store and check if this solves the issue.
- Inactivity on Account – When you haven’t been using your Disney Plus account for the last thirty days, there’s a high chance that your downloaded content will be deleted or made unavailable. Try reactivating your account and redownload all deleted content.
- Device Storage is Full – Your device needs to have sufficient storage space to save downloaded content from the Disney Plus app. There’s a chance that content won’t be saved properly once your device’s internal storage has little to no free space.
How to Fix Disney Plus Downloads Not Working
If you’ve experienced one of the reasons above, below are some fixes that you can try. But first, you can try checking your phone’s internal storage. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Turn on your smartphone and go to Settings > Device Care.
- Tap Storage and check if it’s full. You can try deleting old data and apps you don’t use anymore.
- Turn on your iPhone and go to Settings > General.
- Select iPhone Storage and check if you have sufficient storage.
- To automatically delete unused apps, tap Enable on Offload Unused Apps.
Also, you’ll need to keep your Disney Plus account active by logging in to your account within thirty days to keep your downloaded content accessible. If you have account and subscription concerns, contact Disney+ Support.
If you have an active account and have enough storage space on your device, try out the fixes below. Remember to follow each fix and check which one is the most effective for your device.
Fix #1: Restart Your Device and Relog in to Your Account
Power cycling your device resets it from a bug or glitch that’s affecting the Disney Plus app. After restarting your streaming device, you can try accessing your Disney Plus account offline and check if you can view your downloaded content.
If restarting your device didn’t work, you can try relogging-in to your Disney Plus account. You can do this by logging out from your Disney Plus account in the app and logging back in. Then, check if you can now access your downloaded movies from the Disney Plus app.
Fix #2: Clear Disney Plus App Data on Your Device
If you’ve been recently experiencing bugs on the Disney Plus app, try clearing app data that’s stored on your phone. Data such as the app cache and cookies can sometimes cause problems when outdated.
To clear Disney Plus app data on Android devices, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings > Apps and select Disney+.
- Choose Storage and tap Clear Cache and Clear Data.
- Reboot your device and log in to your account.
- Check if you can now access your downloads when offline.
For iOS devices, you’ll need to proceed to reinstall the Disney+ app. To do this, proceed to these steps:
- Navigate to Settings > General and select iPhone Storage.
- Find the Disney+ app and tap on it. Select Delete App.
- Then, go to the App Store and search for the Disney+ app.
- Select Get to download and install the app on your device.
- Log in to your account and check if you can play your downloaded content while offline.
If you have a Firestick, we have a separate guide if Disney Plus is not working on your Firestick.
Fix #3: Delete All Downloaded Content and Redownload
If the fixes above didn’t work, the last thing that you can try is to delete all downloaded content and redownload them to your device. First, ensure that you have a stable WiFi connection during the download process to avoid incomplete or corrupted downloads.
To delete your downloaded content on the Disney Plus app and redownload, do the following:
- Open the Disney+ app and tap Download.
- Select all movies that you want to delete or you’re unable to access by toggling their respective checkbox.
- After selecting, tap Remove Download.
- Then, search for your desired movies and TV episodes. Go to Details and select Download to save the content on your device.
- Once all downloads are finished, try accessing the Disney Plus app offline and check if the problem is fixed.
Subscribing to Disney Plus gives you access to a wide range of movies and TV shows produced by Disney, The Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Television, and other partner brands. However, some users did have trouble accessing their downloaded content on the app.
Hence, these methods can hopefully guide you to fix the Disney Plus app when you cannot watch your downloads while offline.