Twitch is a popular online streaming platform with millions upon millions of viewers and creators worldwide. If you’re any of these people, wanting to save a copy of your favorite streams and content is only natural.
A common question among users and new streamers is, “Does Twitch automatically save streams?”
Well, not entirely. And we’ll explain what we mean in the succeeding sections.
Here’s a quick guide on how to save Twitch streams on your computer.
Table of Contents
Why Bother Saving Twitch Streams?
There are various reasons why a person might want to rewatch a stream.
Perhaps they missed the Livestream and are just getting around to watching it.
Maybe the host was teaching a helpful skill and the viewer wants to understand the concept deeper by rewatching it.
Regardless of your reasons, there are several ways you can save Twitch streams.
How to Save Your Stream on Twitch
Does Twitch automatically save broadcasts?
Well, only if you manually enable the Video On Demand feature in the “Settings” panel. This tool records your stream as it happens and uploads it on your channel once the stream is over.
You and your users can access the video and rewatch everything that happened minute by minute.
To activate the VOD feature on your Twitch channel, perform the following steps:
- Open “Twitch” and navigate to the “Creator Dashboard.” You can do this by clicking on your avatar, which should be located in the top-right corner of your screen.
- This opens up the main settings panel. Look for “Settings” on the lift side and click. From the dropdown, select “Stream.”
- Scroll down to where it says “VOD” settings and toggle the slider beside the option “Store past broadcasts”
Now your streams will automatically be recorded and posted to your channel every time. Keep in mind that these recordings won’t last forever. Normal users get around 14 days of life expectancy for their videos. Meanwhile, Prime Gaming and Twitch Turbo users get around 60 days.
If you want to keep your recordings longer, there are a few methods you can use.
How to Download VODs from Twitch to Your Computer
Now that you’ve learned how to save videos on Twitch, let’s talk about how you can download Twitch VODs to your computer for longer storage.
- Open up Twitch and go to “Video Producer.”
- Select “Past Broadcasts” from the dropdown menu.
- Look for the VOD that you want to download. Click on the “More Options” feature, which should be represented by three dots beside the video you want to download.
- Select “Download” from the menu that appears.
This will save your VOD to your computer. Now, you can rewatch your gameplay to your heart’s content.
You can even upload it on other social media platforms such as Instagram, YouTube, or Facebook. You can also See Who Saved Your Instagram Post if it is popular.
Can You Download Someone Else’s Stream on Twitch?
Unfortunately, Twitch doesn’t give you the option to download other users’ streams. However, you can use a third-party app such as Twitch Leecher to get the job done.
This app lets you download Twitch VODs from your favorite channels, so you can replay them anywhere and anytime. And to top that all off, the application is completely free.
To get started, simply download Twitch Leecher on your computer and install it.
Make sure that you get it from the developer’s official site, so you know that’s it’s safe.
Installation is easy. Just follow the on-screen prompts to make sure nothing goes wrong during installation.
How to Use Twitch Leecher
- Open Twitch Leecher and click on “Search” to begin the process.
- Log in to Twitch and go to the streaming channel where the video you want to download is stored.
- Once you locate the video, right-click and select “Copy link address” from the options that come up.
- Go back to Twitch Leecher and simply paste the link into the search box,
- Click “Search” from the options at the bottom of the screen.
- The results should show after a couple of seconds. Select which quality you want your video to be downloaded in. Once done, simply press “Download” at the bottom of the page.
Depending on how long the stream is, as well as the quality of the video, the download may take a few minutes to complete. Make sure not to exit the application while the download is still ongoing.
Otherwise, it could cause your video file to become corrupted.
How to Download Twitch VODs on Your Phone
If you don’t have a laptop or desktop in handy, you can always download Twitch VODs on your phone. This will look a little different depending on what type of phone you own.
Here’s what iOS and Android users can do to download Twitch VODs on their phones:
- On your browser, log in to your Twitch account.
- Click on the “aA” icon on the upper left side. From the menu, select “Request Desktop Website.”
- Click on your avatar in the upper right corner. Select “Video Producer” from the options.
- Look for the VOD that you would like to download. Copy the link to your clipboard.
- Download VLC media player if you don’t already have it.
- Select “Network” from the footer menu.
- Go to “Downloads” on the next menu and paste the link on the address bar that appears.
- Tap the “Download” button. This should start the process immediately.
Wait for it to complete before exiting the application.
- Open your browser and log in to Twitch.
- Go to the “More Options” tool on the upper right side of your window. This should look like three vertical dots.
- In the menu that appears, select “Desktop Site.”
- Click on your avatar and select “Video Producer.”
- Look for the video that you want to download and click on the “more options” tool on the right side of the button that says “Highlights.”
- Click and look for “Download” to start the download process.
These are all the ways you can record your stream and download them onto different devices. Make sure to check them out when you can. If you think there are other more effective methods that we can use, please don’t hesitate to tell us about it via message or the comments section.