There’s nothing more frustrating than being locked out of your laptop because you forgot the password. You won’t have access to your photos, documents, and any other files on your laptop.
However, we’re here to tell you NOT to panic! There are many immediate Dell security manager password reset solutions that don’t involve wiping all your important data.
We’ve got four easy ways on how to unlock a Dell Inspiron laptop:
- Method 1: Unlock Dell Inspiron Laptop with Password Reset Disk
- Method 2: Unlock Dell Inspiron Laptop with Microsoft Account
- Method 3: Unlock Dell Inspiron Laptop with Installation Disk
- Method 4: Reset Dell Inspiron Laptop Password with Bootable Flash Drive.
Whether you have access to a manufacturer disk or not, it’s possible to unlock your Dell laptop with our step-by-step guide.
Table of Contents
- 1 Forgot Password to Dell Laptop: 5 Ways to Unlock a Dell Inspiron Laptop
- 2 Conclusion
Forgot Password to Dell Laptop: 5 Ways to Unlock a Dell Inspiron Laptop
Method 1: Unlock Dell Inspiron Laptop with Password Reset Disk
Remember that resetting disk that came with your laptop when you first got it? The password reset disk is what’s used to set up an operating system on your brand-new Windows laptop.
Password reset disks contain essential details, including your laptop’s key and manufacturer information.
If you forgot your password, you could easily recover your account without a password with your Dell reset disk. However, if you lost your reset disk, you can create a new one on a blank USB or CD:
Here are the steps to using the Password Reset Disk:
- Boot your Dell laptop. You will then be asked for your Windows password. Since you forgot your account password, enter anything and click Enter.
- Click Reset password, then insert your resetting disk.
- Once the reset window opens, click Next to start the operation.
- Choose your reset disk from the dropdown menu and click Next.
- Enter your new password. Then click Next, and finally Finish.
This is the easiest way to recover access to your Dell Inspiron laptop within a few minutes. However, there are also several easy ways to start Dell password reset without a disk.
Method 2: Unlock Dell Inspiron Laptop with Microsoft Account
Another easy way to recover access to your Dell laptop is to reset your password online with your Microsoft account. This method is only compatible for users who:
- Have Windows 10 operating system.
- Connected their laptop with a Microsoft account.
Here’s one way to start Dell password reset without disk:
- Go to Microsoft ‘Recover your account’ page on a device other than the locked laptop.
- Enter the account details (phone number, email, Skype account) associated with your Microsoft account, then click Next.
- Verify your identity with the password reset process. You will be sent a code through text or email, depending on the method you choose. Click Get Code to get a verification code through your selected method.
- Enter the code you received, and click Next.
- Set a new password, and click Next.
You have now successfully reset your Windows password.
If you’re having issues with the recovery form, head to the Microsoft support page.
This method also works if you need to reset the password on your HP laptop.
Method 3: Unlock Dell Inspiron Laptop with Installation Drive
Now, if you don’t have your reset disk, you can also use your Installation drive.
- Insert the installation disk in your laptop, then boot it up. This should begin the recovery process by restarting your laptop.
- Press the F12 key repeatedly until the Booting Menu appears.
- Press Up or Down keys to select the right disk type. Press Enter.
- Replace “magnify.exe” with “cmd.exe” in the Prompt window to begin the installation process
- Remove your installation drive, then type “wpeutil reboot” in the cmd Window to reboot in normal mode. Press Enter.
- Once you enter the login page, click the icon on the bottom of the page. Click Magnify. Erase the current password with cmd “net user yourusername,” where you should replace your username with your real username. Press Enter, then restart your laptop.
- You can now enter your user account without a password. Boot up your system again with the F2 key.
Method 4: Reset Dell Inspiron Laptop Password with Bootable Flash Drive
One of the easiest methods to reboot your Dell Windows 10 laptop is with a a bootable USB drive or . This will allow you to repair, restore, or recover access to your Windows 10 laptop.
Here’s how you can reset the password to your Dell laptop with a bootable flash drive:
- Insert the bootable flash drive into your device.
- Restart your computer while pressing the boot key repeatedly. This is the F2 key for Dell laptops.
- Upon entering the boot menu, select the bootable device from the menu. If your device is a USB, select Removable Device. If it’s a DVD, select CD-ROM. Then press any key to boot the laptop.
- Select your language and keyboard menu input. Click Next.
- Click Repair your Computer. Click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
- Look for your 10 installation drive, which is usually in D drive. Type “cd windows, hit Enter. Type “cd system32”, then Enter.
- Rename utility manager by typing “ren utliman.exe utilman_bak.exe,” then “copy cmd.exe utilman.exe”
- Type “exit,” then restart your computer.
- Click Ease of Access.
- The easiest method is to enter “control userpasswords2,” then hit Enter. Select your user account, then Reset Password.
Note: If you cannot complete this method because your keyboard is locked, please read How to Unlock your Dell Laptop Keyboard.
Thankfully, there are several methods to recover access to your Dell laptop without losing all your files!
Unlock your Dell Inspiron laptop using the password reset disk or your installation disk. Alternatively, you can use a bootable USB or DVD.
If you connect your windows account to your Microsoft account, you can easily reset your password online.
We hope our guide on how to unlock your Dell Inspiron laptop was useful to you!
Which method will you try?