Do you need to reset the password on your HP laptop but can’t find your restore disk?
Fortunately, there are many different ways for you to recover access to your account without disk and formatting the machine.
Reset the password on your HP laptop Windows 7/8/10 in just a few minutes with any of the following methods:
- Method 1: Reset HP Laptop Microsoft Password Online
- Method 2: Reset HP Laptop Password with a Different Admin Account
- Method 3: Reset HP Laptop Password with HP Recovery Manager
- Method 4: Reset HP Laptop Password with Password Reset Software
- Method 5: Reset HP Laptop Password by Factory Reset
Find five quick ways to reset the password on HP laptop Windows 10/8/7 without disk with our step-by-step guide.
Let’s get started!
Note: We also have a fix if your HP laptop caps lock key is blinking.
Table of Contents
Method 1: Reset HP Laptop Microsoft Password Online
You might just thank yourself for configuring your HP laptop with your Microsoft account.
Easily set a new password for your No products found. by resetting the password on your Microsoft. Account.
- Visit the Microsoft Password Recovery page on any device.
- Enter your account details (email, phone number, Skype name), then select Next.
- Verify your identity by answering the security questions or entering a code.
- Once you recover your account, enter a new password and select Next. Your account should be recovered.
Note: This method will only work for laptops with at least Windows 10 version 1803.
This method also works if you need to unlock your Dell Inspiron laptop.
Method 2: Reset HP Laptop Password with a Different Admin Account
The administrator account has the most control access to your HP laptop, and it can allow you to manage and recover the password of another account.
This means that if you lose access to an account on your laptop, you can log into another account that has administrator access.
Here’s how you can continue Hewlett Packard password reset of a user account using an administrator account:
- Log onto an account with administrator privilege from the log-in screen.
- If you don’t have access to any account, press the Shift key five times to quickly activate the built-in administrator account.
- Access Control Panel and navigate to User Accounts.
- Select Manage another account and choose the locked user account on your laptop.
- Click Change the password and enter a new password for the locked user account. Click Change Password to confirm the operation.
- Sign out of the current account. You should be able to access the locked account with the new password.
Method 3: Reset HP Laptop Password with HP Recovery Manager
HP Recovery Manager is a valuable tool to reset your PC password, but before we show you this method, you should know that you will wipe all the data on your machine in the process.
- Turn off your HP laptop and remove all the peripherals, except your mouse, keyboard, and monitor.
- Boot up your laptop and press the F11 key repeatedly until an option menu appears.
- Select Troubleshoot and click Recovery Manager. Click System Recovery.
- If you don’t want to recover your files, click Recover without backing up your files. Otherwise, click Backup your files. Select the method you want to back up your files, and insert a hard drive if needed. Select Next, then Next again.
- This will remove your locked user account, as well as all the data on your laptop.
Alternatively, you can click the Start Menu and search for the HP Recovery Manager:
- Select HP Recovery Manager.
- Select Yes when prompted by user account control.
- Select Windows Recovery Environment, and click OK to continue. Your laptop will restart, and you can begin with Step 3 in the previous instruction guide.
However, if you don’t want to lose data on your laptop, try out the different methods on our list.
Method 4: Reset HP Laptop Password with Forgotten Password Wizard
If you have lost your password reset disk, you can create a new one with the Forgotten Password Wizard.
Here’s what you have to do:
- Sign in to your laptop using any local account.
- Connect a blank CD or flash drive to your laptop.
- Open Windows and select Control Panel from the Start menu.
- If you’re in category view, select User Accounts then User Accounts again. In icons view, click User Accounts. You should see the Make changes to your user account menu.
- Click Create a password reset disk, and Forgotten Password Wizard should open.
- Click Next, and select the drive you want to add the software. Click Next again.
- Type the password to your current user account, then click Next.
- Click Next when the wizard completes.
- Click Finish, and disconnect the flash drive.
This is a great backup option in case you forget your HP laptop password.
Method 5: Reset HP Laptop Password by Factory Reset
If all else fails, you can restore your HP laptop to factory settings. However, this will remove all the data on your laptop.
If you recently backed up your laptop you won’t lose much. However, if you haven’t backed up your laptop recently, it would be better to backup essential files first if you have access to any user account.
- Reboot your computer and press the F11 key until you enter the options menu.
- Click Troubleshoot on the Choose an option screen.
- Click Reset this PC.
- Choose Keep my files or Remove everything, depending on which you prefer.
- You will get a warning, then click Next to continue the recovery operation. This will remove all the existing user accounts and passwords. If you choose to back up your files, you will find the files on your local disk.
- Click Reset when asked, “Ready to reset this PC?” Highlight Continue, then enter.
Please note: This will require Windows to be reinstalled, which will change your BitLocker Key. We have an article on the Windows Bitlocker Recovery Key – but please remember to record the change once Windows is reinstalled.
HP administrator password recovery without disk is possible through several methods.
You can change your Microsoft account password online or manage user accounts with another admin account. If you don’t mind losing all the data on your laptop, reset your password through HP Recovery Manager, Factory Reset, or Forgotten Password Wizard.