One of the most infamous issues with the PS4 is the PS4 white light of death or WLOD for short.
Usually, if your PS4 is not turning on and has a white light, this is the PS4 white light of death.
But how do you solve this issue? Is there any hope for your PS4?
Yes, there is! Today, we’ll be covering easy fixes for the PS4 white light of death, so keep on reading.
Table of Contents
What Does a White Light Mean for the PS4?
If you have a PS4, then you’re familiar with its power indicator lights.
These power indicator lights can flash different colors in different ways, depending on what is happening with the console.
The lights serve as a way for the PS4 console to communicate with you, especially if there is an issue.
However, just because the PS4 power indicator lights are white, this doesn’t necessarily mean they are the infamous PS4 white light of death.
So, before you start to panic, let’s go over what a white light can mean for the PS4.
If the power indicator lights start as blue and transition to white, this means your PS4 is simply powering on.
If the power indicator lights show a steady white light, then this means your PS4 is powered on.
If the power indicator lights show a blinking white light then turn off, this means your PS4 is powered off.
If the power indicator lights show a white light that continues to blink, this means there is an error which needs troubleshooting. This is the PS4 white light of death.
What Is the PS4 White Light of Death (WLOD)?
As we went over in the section above, the PS4 white light of death is when your PS4’s power indicator lights show a blinking white light that doesn’t stop. This should not be confused with the PS4 Controller Red Light Error or the Yellow Light Controller Error.
This is usually paired with a lack of any graphics on the display connected to your PS4 console.
It may also be paired with a lack of response to any buttons you press on your PS4 controller.
What Causes the PS4 White Light of Death?
There are five main causes for the PS4 flashing white light of death.
The first is a bad HDMI connection. This could be caused by a loose connection, a damaged HDMI cable, or faulty HDMI ports on your PS4 console, your display, or both.
The second is a corrupted hard drive. If your PS4 console has a hard drive that is partially or completely corrupted, the operating system may not be able to read data it needs to power on properly.
The third is a defective motherboard. If your PS4 console has a motherboard that is damaged, it may be interfering with the HDMI connection, the data storage, the processing, or all possible operations.
The fourth is a software issue. If your PS4 console’s software was affected by bad coding from a game – or worse, a virus – then the console may freeze to prevent further damage.
The last main cause is an electrical surge. Whether it is a power surge or a lightning storm, an electrical surge may damage your PS4 console, including its motherboard, HDMI port, and other vital components.
PS4 White Light of Death (WLOD) Easy Fixes
Now that we know the possible causes for the PS4 flashing white light of death, let’s dive into the easy fixes!
Restart the PS4 Console
Before you do anything else, let’s start with the simplest potential solution: restart the PS4 console.
To restart the PS4 console, you can follow these easy steps:
- Hold the PS4 power button until the console shuts down.
- Unplug the PS4 console from its power source.
- Wait for at least 3 minutes.
- Replug the console to its power source.
- Turn on the console.
If this still doesn’t work, make sure the power source you’re using is fully functional and undamaged.
Check the PS4’s HDMI Connection to the TV
Next, you’ll need to check the PS4 console’s HDMI connection.
To check your PS4’s HDMI connection, you can follow these steps:
- Inspect the console’s HDMI port for any damage.
- If there is no damage, clean it of any dirt.
- Repeat the first two steps for your TV’s HDMI port.
- Check your HDMI cable for any damage, such as fraying or cuts.
- If you find that it is damaged, try using a different HDMI cable.
Clean Your PS4 Console
Although this may seem like a trivial thing to do, the next solution you can try is cleaning your PS4 console.
This is because any dirt or dust that piles up inside your PS4 console could get in the way of its components. The components might then malfunction in a way that can be easily fixed by a simple cleaning.
To clean your PS4 console, you can follow these steps:
- Unplug your PS4 console from its power source.
- Open up your console.
- Take a clean, soft cloth or brush.
- Gently sweep any dust or dirt off of the motherboard and other internal components.
- Once you have cleaned the more sensitive parts, clear the vents and fans.
- Close the console securely.
- Replug it to its power source and turn it on.
If dust was the problem, the PS4 flashing white light of death should now be gone. This is also a recommended fix if your PS4 won’t turn on but makes a beeping noise.
Reset Your PS4 Controller
Sometimes, your PS4 console will flash the white light to indicate something is wrong with your controller.
If you suspect this is the case,you will need to reset your PS4 controller to revert to its factory settings.
To reset your PS4 controller, you can follow these steps:
- Get a paper clip or a safety pin.
- Disconnect your PS4 console from the internet and turn it off.
- Unplug the controller from the console.
- Look at the back of the controller.
- Find the reset button near the L2 button.
- Use the paper clip or safety pin to hold the reset button for at least 6 seconds.
- Wait a few seconds after releasing the reset button.
- Plug the controller into the console.
- Press the PS button to pair it with the console.
If this still doesn’t work, you may need to No products found..
Restart Using Safe Mode
If you suspect the PS4 white light of death is caused by a software issue, then you can try using Safe Mode to fix the issue.
To restart using Safe Mode, you can follow these steps:
- Hold the console’s power button for 3 seconds to power it off.
- Hold the power button again until you hear two beeps.
- Once the console boots up with Safe Mode, press the PS button on your controller.
- Choose option number seven to fully initialize your PS4.
Contact PlayStation Technical Support
Finally, if none of the steps above work, it may be time to contact PlayStation technical support.
You can contact them through their website.
If they still can’t help you, it may be time to take your PS4 to a repair shop or buy a new PS4 console.
As you can see, there are several easy fixes for the PS4 white light of death.
All you need is a little patience, and the instructions should get your PS4 back to normal in no time.
We hope this article helped you!