When using an Xbox One, you’ll need a dedicated controller to play games and access more features. You can choose from various controllers, including Xbox-made and other third-party controllers. But what if you want to use an Xbox 360 controller on an Xbox One?
Compared to the newer controller brands in the market, the Xbox 360 controller is an older version of the Xbox controller family. In this guide, we’ll show you some workarounds when using an Xbox 360 controller on an Xbox One. Read this guide to know more.
Table of Contents
Can You Use an Xbox 360 Controller on Xbox One?
Normally, Xbox 360 controllers are only compatible with the Xbox 360 console and not on an Xbox One. Although, you’ll need a working Windows PC with the Xbox app installed to make this workaround possible. When connecting your Xbox 360 controller to your computer, you can use the following connection methods:
- Via USB Cable – If your computer has several USB ports, you can use it to plug the Xbox 360 controller into your computer through a wired connection. This method usually is the most effective one since there’s a direct connection between the controller and the computer.
- Via Wireless Gaming Receiver – the Xbox Wireless Gaming Receiver is a small dongle that lets you connect the Xbox 360 to the computer wirelessly. This dongle works on most Xbox controllers and is a recommended way to connect your Xbox 360 controller compared to a Bluetooth connection.
Also, ensure that your computer is running Windows 10 or greater to avoid compatibility problems in the Xbox app.
Using an Xbox 360 Controller on Xbox One
To do these methods successfully, you’ll first need to ensure that both the Xbox One console and the computer are connected to the same wireless network. This is to avoid problems when you’re attempting to stream content from the Xbox One to the computer.
To connect the Xbox One to a wireless network, follow these steps:
- From the guide, go to Profile & system > Settings > General and select Network Settings.
- Choose Set up wireless network.
- Select the name of your wireless network from the list of detected networks.
- Enter the Wi-Fi password and wait for the Xbox One to be successfully connected.
After connecting both the console and the computer on one wireless network, follow these steps to connect your Xbox 360 controller to a PC.
Method #1: Connect the Xbox 360 Controller via USB
One of the best ways to connect an Xbox 360 controller to a PC is through a USB connection. Ideally, you need to use the USB ports on the back of your PC to avoid connection problems. Once the Xbox 360 controller’s USB cable is plugged into the computer, it will automatically install the latest drivers for the controller.
After all, drivers are successfully installed, the computer will notify you that the Xbox 360 controller is ready to be used. If you’re having problems in this step, you’ll need to first install the latest software updates for your Windows OS and see if this fixes the issue.
Method #2: Connect the Xbox 360 Controller via Wireless Gaming Receiver
Microsoft’s Wireless Gaming Receiver is a dongle that you can use to connect wireless devices for Xbox. Since this dongle works like a plug-and-play device, you’ll just need to plug it into one of the computer’s USB ports.
To use the wireless gaming receiver on your computer, follow these steps:
- Plug the wireless gaming receiver into one of the USB ports at the back of your PC. A green light on the device indicates that it’s working properly.
- The Add New Hardware wizard will shortly show up on the screen. Select Install the software automatically (Recommended) and choose Next.
- Once the device is successfully installed, select Finish.
- Next, turn on the Xbox 360 controller by pressing and holding the Xbox button.
- On the wireless receiver, press the connect button. It’s located near the middle of the device. The indicator light should flash green.
- Next, press the connect button on the Xbox controller. The controller will now try to establish a connection to the receiver.
- Once light is flashing near the Xbox button, the controller is now successfully connected to the receiver.
Stream Xbox One to your Computer via the Xbox App
Once the Xbox 360 controller is set up on your computer, you can now stream content from the Xbox one to your computer via the Xbox app. As long as both the console and the computer are connected to the same wireless network, this method will work seamlessly.
To stream content from the Xbox One to your computer, follow these steps:
- Turn on your Xbox One by pressing the Power button on the front of the console.
- Then, on your PC, launch the Xbox app. You can find it by clicking the Start menu under Play and explore.
- Make sure that you’re using the same Xbox account on both the Xbox One console and the Xbox app on your computer.
- Go to the Connection tab, above the Settings icon.
- Next, select the Stream option. The Xbox One console will now attempt to stream to your computer.
- Once it’s connected, you can now play games on your computer via the Xbox app.
The Xbox One console is a powerful device where you can play various games alone or with your friends via Xbox Live. To use the console effectively, you’ll need to have a compatible controller. Hence, this guide can hopefully help you when attempting on using an Xbox 360 controller on Xbox One through easy-to-follow methods.