Discord is growing to be one of the most popular applications for communicating all over the world – whether it’s to talk with friends, fans, or coworkers.
But as you know, something that’s appealing to all social media users is customization. Customization allows you to feel more at home in an application, making the application more enjoyable to use. Did you know you can stream Hulu on Discord?
If you like to use Discord, you might be wondering how to customize your Discord background image, your Discord background theme, and your Discord profile background.
If so, then look no further! In today’s article, we’ll be going over how you can change all of these things and customize them to be precisely what you want!
Table of Contents
How to Change Discord Theme
If you want to know how to change your Discord theme, you’ve come to the right place!
It’s incredibly easy to change your Discord theme. You can follow these simple steps:
- Open Discord on your laptop
- Look in the bottom left corner and click on the gear icon beside your profile picture. This will open User Settings.
- Navigate to App Settings.
- Click on Appearance.
- Scroll down to Theme.
- Under Theme, you will see three different themes: Dark, Light, or “Sync with computer”.
- If you choose the Light theme, you will also be able to toggle the switch for a Dark Sidebar.
Does Discord Let You Customize Your Background?
Discord allows you to customize the application quite a bit, letting you set a profile picture and a theme. Some customizations are free, while others require Nitro (though it is possible to get free Discord Nitro).
Bbackground customization is growing quite popular as well. This can be seen in other messaging apps like Messenger, which allow you to choose from various background themes.
Unfortunately, Discord still hasn’t caught up and doesn’t let you customize your background – at least, not more than changing between Light and Dark themes.
What Does BetterDiscord Do?
But that’s where BetterDiscord comes in!
Although Discord hasn’t officially made any customization tools, fans of the application have stepped up to provide an excellent third party program called BetterDiscord.
BetterDiscord acts as a kind of plugin for Discord. It doesn’t replace Discord entirely; it merely enhances Discord by allowing you to do more things.
Through BetterDiscord, you can download background themes. And, if you know some basic CSS, you can further customize these background themes yourself!
You can also add plug-ins through BetterDiscord, such as the popular translator plug-in, which uses Google Translate, or the invisible typing plug-in, which allows you to type without notifying others. It also allows you to View Deleted Discord Messages.
And, of course, BetterDiscord offers a multitude of free emotes that you may recognize from other sites, including Twitch, FFZ, and BBTV!
How to Customize Discord Background Image
Since Discord doesn’t have a built-in tool to customize your background image, you can use BetterDiscord to customize it instead!
This is a simple process, but it does have a lot of steps. Thus, we’re going to break it down into two sections below so it’s easy for you to follow!
Set Up BetterDiscord
You may be thinking that the first step to set up BetterDiscord is to install it – but that’s not quite true!
The first step is actually to install Discord on your PC. BetterDiscord adds to Discord’s features – it doesn’t replace it entirely.
Once you’ve got Discord installed, you can follow these steps to install BetterDiscord:
- Close Discord completely so it’s not running while you install BetterDiscord.
- Go to BetterDiscord’s website and download the latest version.
- Once the .exe file is downloaded, double-click it to launch the installer.
- Check the box in front of “I accept the license agreement”, and click Next.
- Choose “Install BetterDiscord”, and click Next.
- You can then choose which folder BetterDiscord will be installed in.
- Click Install once you’ve chosen the folder.
- Once the installation is complete, close the installation window.
- Launch Discord.
Once Discord is up and running again, you should see a pop-up window that has the patch notes for BetterDiscord. If this shows up, this means BetterDiscord installed successfully.
If the pop-up window isn’t there, you can go to User Settings to check if BetterDiscord installed. If there is no section titled BetterDiscord in the User Settings, then you’ll have to repeat the installation process.
Choose Your Theme
Now that you’ve installed BetterDiscord, it’s time to change your Discord background image!
To choose your Discord background image, you can follow these easy steps:
- Go to BetterDiscord Themes and download a theme that you like.
- Once you’ve downloaded a theme, open Discord.
- Click on the gear icon to go to User Settings.
- Scroll down User Settings until you see the BetterDiscord section.
- Choose the option that says Themes.
- Click on Open Theme Folder. This will open a file explorer.
- Copy the theme you downloaded to the Theme Folder.
- Once the theme has been copied, you should be able to see it as an option in Discord.
- Enable the theme by toggling the switch to its right.
- If the theme doesn’t automatically show up, restart Discord.
How to Change Discord Profile Background
Now that we’ve gone over how to change the general background theme for Discord, you may be wondering how to change your Discord profile background.
You can change your Profile Color for free on Discord. You can do this by:
- Going to User Settings.
- Clicking on User Profile.
- Scrolling down to Profile Color.
- Clicking on Custom and choosing the color you want.
Unfortunately, if you want to upload an image as your Profile Banner, you’ll have to pay for Discord Nitro.
But if you already have Nitro and want to make the most of it, you can customize your Profile Banner by:
- Going to User Settings.
- Choosing User Profile.
- Scrolling down to Profile Banner.
- Clicking on Change Banner.
- Selecting the image you want, and editing it as necessary.
- Clicking Apply.
- Choosing Save Changes.
Fixing problems with Discord
Discord has a vibrant dev community which can provide solutions for most errors that come up. We are working on adding guides for the most common problems – eg fixing the issue of Discord Stream has no sound which comes up a fair bit.
Discord is a great application, and with a bit of tinkering (and outside help from BetterDiscord), it can be taken to yet another level.
Now that we’ve gone over how to change your Discord theme, background, and profile banner, you should be able to customize Discord until it looks exactly the way you want.
We hope this article helped you!