AT&T is America’s largest telecommunications company and one of its leading Internet service providers. The company is well-known for its high-speed internet packages, network reliability, and reasonable prices.
However, like all telecommunication companies, AT&T can run into its own issues. The good thing is that you can easily resolve most of these issues at home by changing your AT&T WiFi password, which can save you time and money.
If you’re trying to figure out how to reset your AT&T WiFi password, look no further; you can easily do this through the app service offered by AT&T or by logging into your router. Changing your AT&T WiFi password does not have to be difficult; read on to find out why!
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Change Your AT&T WiFi Password
- 2 How To Change AT&T WiFi Password on the BGW210 and NVG589 Gateway
- 3 Why You Need a Strong AT&T WiFi Password
- 4 Final Thoughts
How to Change Your AT&T WiFi Password
You can use two methods to change your AT&T WiFi password and username. These include using the Smart Home Manager App and the router/gateway method. We’ve discussed these methods in more detail below:
Method#1 Using the Smart Home Manager App
The Smart Home Manager is a free app for AT&T customers designed to make it easier for users to manage their home wireless networks. This app allows you to personalize your network
settings, manage data activity, troubleshoot problems and more. The best part is that all of this is done with the ease of your smartphone or computer.
The Smart Home Manager app allows you to change your AT&T WiFi password. The process for this is quite straightforward:
- Download the AT&T Smart Home Manager app. Then, go to the Smart Home Manager web portal if you are using your computer.
- Login to your account
- Go to My WiFi
- Click on Edit next to your existing password
- Type your new password and Save.
- Reconnect all your devices with your new AT&T WiFi password.
Method #2 Using the Router/Gateway Method
This method is a bit more complicated. Depending on the model of your AT&T router, the steps for changing your WiFi password can be slightly different. However, there’s no need to worry as we’ll walk you through the entire procedure.
Below is the general process for changing your WiFi password using the Router/Gateway method. This general process is the same for all Internet Service Providers, not just AT&T.
1. Locate Login Information
To change your WiFi name and password, you will need the following credentials:
- Default IP Address
- The default username for router/Gateway
- The default password for router/Gateway
In the case of AT&T devices, the default IP address is always the same. For the default password and username, check the side or back of the router. You should find a label that contains details such as the default password, username and IP address.
You may also locate the default IP address using Command Prompt. To do so:
- Open Command Prompt on your computer.
- Type inconfig and press Enter.
- Scroll down to Default Gateway. You can find the default I.P address here.
2. Log in to your router
Now that you have the default login credentials, you need to log in to your router to change the password. To do so, you need to take the following steps:
- First, launch any web browser on your computer.
- Next, enter the default IP address in the address bar and press Enter.
- Finally, enter the default router username and password.
3. Reset the Password
Once you have entered the login details for your router, you’ll be redirected to the homepage. From there:
- Select Network Settings. Here, you’ll see the options for username and password.
- Once you have edited your AT&T WiFi password, don’t forget to click save.
4. Reconnect your devices to the internet
You will be asked to reconnect your devices to the internet once the password has been changed. Then, enter the new login credentials and access the internet. Hopefully everything is working. If your AT&T Router is Blinking Red then unfortunately you need to reset the password again.
Resetting the password should not affect your remote, but if you find you are having trouble connecting then you can reset your AT&T TV Remote as well.
How To Change AT&T WiFi Password on the BGW210 and NVG589 Gateway
You now know the general process for changing the WiFi password on any router or Gateway. We will now explain the steps for the BGW210 and the NVG589 Gateway specifically, as these are the most common routers used by AT&T customers.
This is a very common router used by AT&T customers for home networks. To change the WiFi password on the BGW210 Gateway, follow the following steps:
- Connect your computer to the WiFi.
- Launch a web browser.
- Type 192.168.1.254 in the address bar.
- Click on Home Network.
- Click on WiFi.
- Enter your Gateway’s password in the Access Code section. You can find this on the side of the device.
- Go to Home SSID.
- Click on Security.
- Click on WPA-PSK in the drop-down menu.
- Type in your new password.
Before accessing the internet, you must reconnect all your devices to the WiFi using the new password.
This is one of the most common routers used by AT&T customers. To change the WiFi password on this type of router, you need to do the following steps:
- Connect your computer to the WiFi network.
- Launch a web browser.
- Type 192.168.1.254 in the address bar.
- Open Home Network.
- Open Wireless.
- Go to Security.
- On the drop-down menu, click on WPA-Customer.
- Type in your new WiFi password.
- Enter the Device Access Code when you are prompted for a password. This is found on the side or bottom of the Gateway/router.
Once again, you will have to reconnect your devices to your AT&T WiFi network with the updated password.
Why You Need a Strong AT&T WiFi Password
When you set up an Internet connection with AT&T, you are provided with a default WiFi username and password. Users will often change the default password when customizing their network settings. A strong password must be chosen to keep your data and network connections secure.
An unsecured wireless network can pose several problems. Anyone who can connect to your network can access your data and information. It is also possible that someone could use your Internet connection for illegal activities.
Besides this, too many network connections can cause bandwidth overload. To prevent such issues, we recommend setting up a strong WiFi password.
Tips for Setting up a Strong WiFi Password
To set up a secure WiFi password on your AT&T Internet connection, keep the following tips in mind:
- Your password should mix uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and special characters. Most websites will require this.
- Your password should be at least 10-12 characters long. The longer the password, the more secure it is.
- Don’t reuse the same password for different websites.
- Refrain from using common passwords such as ‘password’ or ‘Qwerty’.
- Using a memorable term will make it easy for you to remember your password.
In this guide, we’ve described two methods to change AT&T WiFi password. You may either use the Smart Home Manager app or change the password by logging into your router. Both methods are quite straightforward, and you won’t encounter any problems if you follow the procedures listed above.
However, we recommend using the AT&T Smart Home Manager app to change your WiFi password, as the process is easier and less time-consuming.