When having calls with your friends and loved ones, you’ll sometimes need to know how to record a conversation on your iPhone. This allows you to take note of important details on calls so they can be easy to get back to. But due to privacy reasons, it’s not that easy to directly record a phone call or conversation.
However, this guide will show you secure and free workarounds to safely record a conversation on your iPhone. We’ll cover methods on how to record a phone call on iPhone with and without an app. Read on to know more.
Note: This article covers voice recording, we have another article which covers How to Screen Record on iPhone if you want video instead.
Table of Contents
Can I Record a Conversation on My iPhone?
Recording phone calls or conversations has always been a forbidden feature that’s gained interest among smartphone users. It essentially takes place without the other caller’s permission. But, here’s how you can know if your iPhone is capable of recording a conversation:
- Must run iOS 9.0 or greater
- The voicemail feature must be allowed on your phone’s carrier
- The voicemail inbox is not full
If your device can fulfill these requirements, it’s possible for your device to record phone calls anytime. You can also pick between recording an incoming call without an app or with third-party sites.
Important: It’s recommended to do this when there’s consent from both parties, or is just done for lawful purposes to avoid breaking laws such as the Anti-Wiretapping law. Note that your caller could change their Caller ID on iPhone, so be sure to identify the person by voice before you start recording them.
As well as recording voice, you may also be interested in how to view your iPhone clipboard history.
How to Record Call on iPhone Without App for Free
Before trying out paid site subscriptions, you can first try recording a phone call using free and built-in methods. First off, you’ll need to disable the Call Waiting function on your phone. To do this, follow these steps:
- Turn on your iPhone and go to Settings > Phone.
- Tap Call Waiting and toggle its corresponding switch to Off.
Here are free methods that you can try to record a call on an iPhone. You can either use the Voicemail feature on your phone or use another device to record your conversation.
Method #1: Record a Phone Call Using Voicemail
Voicemail is a feature on most modern phones that allows users to exchange information through voice messages. Although it’s typically used as a stored voice message for unanswered voice calls, you can also use it as a recording tool.
To record a phone call using voicemail, follow the steps below:
- Proceed to the call that you want to record.
- You will now see several options on the call screen. Select Add Call and choose your own number from the Contacts List. Alternatively, you can type in your own phone number on the keypad.
- Then, press Dial. This will activate the device’s voice box to the current phone call.
- After hearing a beep, your phone will now start recording the phone call.
- To save it through your voicemail inbox, press the Merge Call button on the call screen. Once the call session is over, the recording will be sent to your phone’s voicemail number.
- If you want to share it with your email or cloud storage, go to the Phone app and select Voicemail.
- Choose the voicemail conversation and tap Share. Select from the sharing options available.
Once you have finished recording your calls, you may want to switch off voicemail again. To do so, please read our article on How to Turn Off Voicemail on iPhone.
Method #2: Record a Phone call Using Another Device
One straightforward way to record a phone call for free is by using another device as a recorder. To do this, you’ll need to have a device that can record high-quality audio and has enough storage. To record a phone call using another device, proceed to these steps:
- Make the call that you want to record.
- Turn on your other device and go to its recorder app. Position the device nearby to have a high-quality recording.
- Once the call is in progress, enable the Speaker feature to let your conversation be heard loudly.
- Select the Record button on the recording device to start recording your conversation.
- Once the call is finished, press the Stop button and save your recording.
How to Record Call on iPhone Using A Third-Party Site
Method #3: Record a Phone Call Online Using Recordator
Recordator is a third-party website that lets you use their telephone recording service to record your calls. With this site, you can use various methods to record a call under your phone number:
- Dial-to-Call – On this method, you’ll need to call their dial-in number. Depending on your location, you can refer to this link for their available dial-in numbers. Then, you can connect the recipient to the current call.
- Merge-to-Call – Here, you’ll call the recipient and add Recordator’s call recording service to the current call.
- Click-to-Call – For this method, you’ll need to call the recipient through the Recordator website. When the call is established on both participants, the website will patch both conversations.
Note: Recordator is not for free and requires payment through PayPal. For pricing plans, click here.
To use Recordator, follow these steps:
- Go to Recordator’s official website and create a free account.
- Once you’re logged in, make a call to their dial-in number. In some locations, the call should be toll-free.
- Once connected, you can now proceed to call the recipient by pressing the Add Call button.
- Next, select Merge to let Recordator record your conversation.
Alternatively, you can record calls using the Click-to-Call feature. To do this, proceed to these steps:
- Log into your Recordator account and select New Call.
- Enter the recipient’s name and phone number. Then, click Add.
- Select Click-to-Call. This method works similar to Merge-to-Call, but you don’t have to make a call to their dial-in number.
To access your call recordings, just log in to your Recordator account and go to My Recordings. They are saved in the MP3 file format and can be downloaded to your computer or shared with other platforms.
We have another article for the privacy conscious – how to delete your purchase history on iPhone.
Most of the time, recording a conversation is perceived as a breach of someone’s privacy. But, it can be quite useful on some occasions, especially for important calls. Therefore, this guide hopefully helps you when you want to record an incoming call using free and paid methods.