Showtime is a premium television network owned by Paramount Media Networks in the US. It offers programming such as stand-up comedy specials, movies, motion pictures, and pay-per-view boxing and MMA matches. The network also has its streaming service, which was released in 2015.
But, users reportedly encountered connection problems with the Showtime app. This can sometimes mean that the Showtime server is down or an app issue on your streaming device. This guide will show you the most common reasons why Showtime is not working on your device and how to fix it.
Read this guide to know more.
Table of Contents
“Why is Showtime Not Working?”—Most Common Reasons
There can be several reasons why the Showtime app is not working on your device. First, you’ll need to make sure that your device is supported by the app. Here is the list of supported devices by the Showtime streaming service:
Smart TVs and Streaming Devices
- Amazon Fire TV & Fire TV Stick
- Android TV
- Apple TV (third-generation)
- Cox Contour Stream Player
- Google Chromecast
- Roku Streaming Device (second-generation) & Roku TV
- Samsung TV
- Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S
- Mac devices (Mac OSX 10.10 or later)
- Windows computers (Windows 10 or later)
Smartphones and Tablets
- Amazon Fire (formerly Kindle Fire) (Fire OS 7 or greater)
- iPhone 4S or greater (iOS 13.0 or later)
- iPad 2 or greater (iOS 13.0 or later)
- Android devices (Android 7.0 or later)
If you see your device on the list above, you can use it to stream Showtime. Also, here are some common reasons why the Showtime app is not working on your device:
- You’re Not Located in the US – The Showtime app, like other streaming services in the US and some of its territories, only supports subscribers within the country. In other words, it’s still geographically restricted and will only work when you’re watching content in the US and US-owned territories.
- Showtime Server is Down – Server outages can sometimes occur with various streaming services, including the Showtime app. Check this site to see if the app’s server is currently having issues.
- Slow Internet Connection – If you’re using the Showtime app on your device with a slow internet connection, chances are the app might not load properly or some of its features may appear unavailable. You can try to power cycle your WiFi router if this happens.
- Corrupted Cache – Cache data is used for improved app performance and loading times. However, it can cause problems when it’s outdated and corrupted. Clearing it can solve the Showtime not working issue and will save your device some storage space.
How to Fix Showtime App Not Working
If you’re owning a Showtime-compatible device and have experienced one of the reasons above, here are some fixes that you can try. Make sure to go over them individually and check which one works best for your device.
Fix #1: Power Cycle Your Smart TV and WiFi Router
Power cycling your smart TV or another streaming device will help reset its components to their stable state. It’s also a risk-free solution since it will not harm your device and delete data. To power cycle your smart TV, follow these steps:
- Turn off your smart TV and unplug its power cord from the outlet.
- Wait for twenty minutes to drain its power. During this step, you can also press its Power button for ten seconds to help drain more power.
- Plug the power cable back in and turn on your smart TV.
To power cycle your WiFi router, follow the steps below:
- Turn off your WiFi router and unplug its power adapter from the outlet.
- Wait for one minute and plug the power adapter back in.
- Turn on the WiFi router and let your smart TV connect to it automatically.
After doing these steps, try launching the Showtime app and check if it’s now working properly. If you’re using a console, you can follow the steps above (for smart TV). However, if you’re using a smartphone or computer, you’ll just need to restart it and see if it solves the issue.
Fix #2: Force Stop and Relaunch the Showtime App
Once the Showtime app ends up freezing while you’re using it on your device, you can try to force stop the app and relaunch it. It will immediately prompt your device to close the app, in case there’s a glitch. Depending on your device, here are some ways to force stop the Showtime app:
- With the Showtime app open, go to Settings > Apps.
- Find the Showtime app and select it.
- Tap the Force Stop button.
- Reopen the Showtime app and check if it’s still freezing.
- Press the Home button twice to show all running background apps.
- Swipe up the app preview for Showtime to force close.
- Relaunch the app and see if the issue is fixed.
- With the Showtime app, press the Return/Exit button on the remote. This will force close the app.
- Try relaunching the app and see if it’s working normally.
- On the Showtime app, press the Home button and choose the Options key.
- Select Close. This will force close the Showtime app.
- Reopen the app and try using it.
Fix #3: Clear Cookies and Cache Data
Old cache and cookie data can sometimes cause issues, especially when it’s corrupted. Clearing it can solve most app errors and save storage for your device. Here’s how you can clear Showtime app data on various devices:
- Open the Chrome browser on your computer.
- Go to More (three-dot button) > More Tools and select Clear Browsing Data.
- Make sure that the Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files are checked.
- Select All Time on the time range option and click Clear Data. Do note that this will log you out of your accounts. So, just log in to them later.
- Visit the Showtime website and try streaming content.
- Open your smartphone and go to Settings > Apps.
- Select Showtime. Choose Clear Cache and Clear App Data afterward.
- Open the app and log in to your Showtime account. See if it still crashes.
Since there’s no option to clear the app data on iOS, you can uninstall the Showtime app and reinstall it later through the App Store:
- Open your iPhone and go to Settings > General.
- Select iPhone Storage. Tap on the Showtime app and select Delete App.
- Then, launch the App Store and search for the Showtime app.
- Tap Get and open the app once installed. Log in to your account and start streaming.
- Press the Home button on the Samsung remote.
- Navigate to Settings > Apps and choose Showtime.
- Select Clear Cache. Reopen the Showtime app and check if it’s still crashing.
On Roku devices, you can clear its cache by pressing the following buttons on the remote in order: Home button five times, Up button once, Rewind button twice, Fast Forward button twice.
Your Roku device will delete all cache data and reboot. Then, you can try opening Showtime and check if it now works normally.
Fix #4: Reinstall the Showtime App on Your Device
If the fixes above didn’t work, you can try reinstalling Showtime. This will force your device to download the latest version of the app, in case its current version is bugged. To reinstall the Showtime app on various devices, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Settings > Apps and find Showtime.
- Select it and choose Uninstall.
- Then, open the Google Play Store and search for the Showtime app.
- Tap Install. Next, launch the app and log in to your account.
- Find the Showtime app from the Apps grid.
- Select it and press the Options button on the remote.
- Choose Remove Channel. Then, press the Home button and go to Streaming Channels.
- Find Showtime and choose Add Channel. Log in to your account and start streaming.
- Press the Home button on the remote and go to Apps > Settings.
- Find the Showtime app and select Delete.
- Then, go back to the Home screen and select Apps. Search for the Showtime app and select Install.
- Set up your account details and check if the issue is solved.
If you are subscribed to Showtime, then chances are you also have Paramount Plus as they are owned by the same company. You can watch Paramount Plus on your PS5 or Xbox as well as a regular TV.
One way to stream various content from the Showtime channel is through the Showtime app. It allows you to stream on different devices as long as you have an active subscription. Hopefully, this guide helps you to fix the Showtime app if it’s not working on your streaming device.
If you’re still having app and subscription issues, visit Showtime Support for further help.