Amazon Kindle is a series of e-book readers developed by Amazon. First launched in 2007, it allows users to read, browse, buy, and download e-books, magazines, newspapers, and other forms of digital media. All Kindle devices have a built-in digital store called the Kindle Store.
When buying an Amazon Kindle nowadays, users can choose between Lockscreen Ad-supported and Without Lockscreen Ads. In this guide, we’ll show you the main differences between a Kindle ad vs no ad and how to remove Ads from Kindle.
Read this guide to learn more.
Table of Contents
What is Kindle Ad-supported?
As a part of Amazon’s low-cost offers, Each Kindle device has its Ad-supported version. Upon purchasing this version, you’ll automatically accept ad support on your device, called Special Offers. Ads can vary from personalized advertising of Amazon products and services, and sponsored screensavers.
Typically, Ad-supported Kindles are $15 to $20 cheaper than devices without ads. While some may consider it a huge discount, other users would prefer an ad-free device since it can be a distraction or affect its usability.
Kindle Ad-supported vs No Ads
When choosing between Kindle with Ads or without, you can look below for their main differences:
- Ad Content – As its name suggests, an Ad-free Kindle will most likely have no ads, except for streamed content or related media with advertisements on their own. Kindle with ads will display targeted ads while the device is in Sleep mode through screensavers and on your recently read books.
- Price – The most apparent difference between an Ad-supported Kindle vs without ads is their price. As mentioned earlier, a Lockscreen Ad-supported Kindle will cost $15-$20 lower than the Without Lockscreen Ads version. Although it may seem to be a small price to pay for some, it’s still a considerable discount for most users.
- Usability – Compared to Ad-supported Kindles, Ad-free Kindles don’t require swiping the screen when turning it on. Also, you can continue your task immediately when using a Kindle without ads. Ad-supported Kindles need you to swipe the ad screen after pressing the Power button. If you are having issues with powering up, check our article on what to do if your Kindle is not working.
How to Remove Ads From Kindle
A Kindle Paperwhite no ads version of your device is possible. However, Amazon won’t let you do this without a price. You’ll need to opt for the Remove Offers option on your Kindle device to remove all ads.
To remove ads from Kindle using your computer or tablet, follow these steps:
- Launch your computer’s browser and go to Amazon’s official website.
- Sign in to your Amazon account and navigate to Your Account > Content and Devices.
- Select Devices and choose the Kindle device from which you wish to remove ads.
- Find the Special Offers option—it should be indicated as Active.
- Select the Remove Offers button and follow the next on-screen steps. You will be charged with a one-time payment via the payment method registered to your Amazon account.
- Once successful, you can now use your Kindle or Kindle Paperwhite without ads.
Ad-supported Kindles, or Kindles with Special Offers, are device versions developed by Amazon that have targeted lock screen ads but come at a cheaper cost. Usually, these devices contain advertisements based on the user’s browsing and shopping preferences on Amazon.
But, it’s possible to opt for an Ad-free version of your Kindle at a price. Hopefully, this guide helps you know what an Ad-supported Kindle is, the difference between Kindle ad vs no ad, and how to remove ads on your Kindle. If you’re having trouble unsubscribing from Special Offers on your account, contact Amazon Customer Service for further help.