Streaming devices nowadays are more popular due to their ease of use and affordability compared to typical cable subscriptions. Two mainstream brands that are known today are the Amazon Fire TV and Roku. While using only one of these devices is enough to keep you entertained, some users wonder if they can use a Fire Stick on their Roku TV.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to connect a Fire Stick to your Roku TV and answer frequently asked questions, such as if you really need a Fire Stick on your Samsung smart TV or other smart TV brands.
Read on to know more.
Table of Contents
Can You Use a Fire Stick on Roku TV?
Yes. You can connect your Amazon Fire Stick device to Roku TV via HDMI. It gives you access to an extensive amount of apps, including major streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and others. You can also subscribe to Amazon services, like Amazon Kids and exclusive channels. You can pair the Firestick remote to the TV and control tv volume with firestick remote.
However, there can be downsides when using two streaming devices in one smart TV. You’ll have to use a separate remote for each device, which can be confusing at times. Also, you will sometimes need to manually switch through inputs each time you’re using your Roku TV.
How to Connect Amazon Fire Stick to Roku TV
Connecting your Amazon Fire Stick to Roku is a straightforward process. Since most Roku TVs do have a pair of HDMI ports, you can plug in the Fire Stick on one of those ports and follow these steps below:
- Take note of the HDMI port into which you’ve plugged the Fire Stick. You’ll refer to it when switching through the TV inputs.
- Turn on your Roku TV.
- Connect the power adapter to your Fire Stick and plug it into a wall outlet.
- Then, using the Roku remote, press the Home button and navigate to Settings > TV inputs.
- Select the HDMI input to which your Fire Stick is connected and choose HDMI Mode. If you have a newer version of the Fire Stick or it has 4K support, choose Standard. Otherwise, select Auto.
- This HDMI input option will now be displayed on your Roku TV’s home screen.
- To rename, press Home on the Roku remote and select the HDMI input you’ve just set up.
- Press the Options (*) button on the remote and select Rename input. You can now rename it to Amazon Fire Stick for easy reference.
- Then, select your desired icon for your Fire Stick input.
- You can now use your Fire Stick on Roku TV.
How to Set Up Amazon Fire Stick
If you’re using a new Fire Stick on your Roku TV, you’ll need to set it up first before you can use it. For this method, you’ll need to have the Fire TV remote ready and have a stable WiFi connection nearby.
To set up your Amazon Fire Stick, proceed to these steps:
- Turn on your Roku TV with the Fire Stick connected. Power up the Fire Stick using its power adapter.
- Then, press the Home button on the Roku remote and select the Fire Stick HDMI input on the Home screen. A loading screen will now show up on your Roku TV.
- Insert the batteries on the Fire Stick remote and wait for it to pair automatically with your Fire Stick device. If it doesn’t, press and hold the Home button until your Fire Stick recognizes the remote.
- Press the Play/Pause button to start the setup process. Follow the rest of the on-screen steps to fully set up your Fire Stick.
- Once it’s done, you can now start to download streaming apps from the Amazon App Store to start streaming.
If your FireStick remote is not working, please read our guide on how to connect FireStick TV to wifi without a remote.
Do You Need a Smart TV to Use a Fire Stick?
No. You can use your Fire Stick on any non-smart TV model as long as it has an HDMI port and internet access. Compared to a cable subscription, a Fire Stick gives you access to various streaming services and apps. Although using a Fire Stick is ideal with smart TVs, it will work just fine with non-smart TVs.
Do I Need a Fire Stick With a Smart TV?
Yes. This especially applies when your smart TV has limited app support. The Amazon Fire Stick allows you to search for more streaming apps and services that are unavailable on your TV’s app store.
However, if your smart TV does have similar features and app access to the Fire Stick, you can just use your smart TV without a streaming device.
Do I Need a Fire Stick With a Samsung Smart TV?
While the Amazon Fire Stick can provide more streaming apps and features, it can sometimes be redundant with your Samsung smart TV’s built-in features. So, it depends on what features you’ll need for your Samsung TV.
If you’ll need access to more apps and extra internal storage, you can opt to buy a Fire Stick for your Samsung TV. Also, setting it up will be simple since most modern Samsung TVs have an HDMI input and are WiFi-friendly.
Using an additional streaming device can ideally provide you with a better streaming experience than using just one. It gives you access to more apps, features, and extra internal storage.
Hopefully, this guide helps you to connect a Fire Stick to your Roku TV and also helps you to decide if you’ll need a Fire Stick device along with your smart TV.