Upon purchasing your new Amazon Fire Stick, it will likely come with a free remote. It helps you with most basic commands, including setting up your Fire Stick and connecting it to WiFi. It also lets you do voice control through Alexa and is handy when scrolling through apps and features.
However, some users came across a problem with their Fire Stick remote malfunctioning. This guide will show you how to set up Fire Stick without remote and how to use your Fire Stick with a virtual remote.
Read this guide to know more.
Table of Contents
Methods To Connect Fire Stick to WiFi Without Remote
Before trying to find or replace your Fire Stick remote, you can try out these fixes below to proceed to the Amazon Fire Stick initial setup without remote. It will require you to have other devices, such as an HDMI-CEC remote, Amazon Echo Dot, and a smartphone. We also have a companion article which shows How to Reset Amazon Fire Stick Without Remote.
Follow each method carefully and check which works best for your Fire Stick streaming device.
Method #1: Download the Amazon Fire TV App on Your Smartphone
The Amazon Fire TV app is a mobile app that allows you to control various Amazon streaming devices and smart speakers, including the Fire Stick. So, if you’re wondering how to connect Fire Stick to WiFi without remote with iPhone, proceed to the steps below:
To connect your Fire Stick to WiFi without its remote using the Amazon Fire TV app, follow these steps:
- Download and install the Amazon Fire TV app on your smartphone. It’s freely available on both the Google Play Store and the App Store.
- Launch the app and select your Fire Stick under the Connect screen.
- Then, sign in to your Amazon account. A four-digit code will now show on the TV screen.
- Enter the code on the Fire TV app to pair both devices. Once paired, the app will let you press the Home and Play/Pause button to confirm.
- Choose your default language and connect both your Fire Stick and smartphone to the same WiFi network to avoid errors.
Method #2: Use an HDMI-CEC Remote for Your Fire Stick
CEC or Consumer Electronics Control is a feature of many HDMI devices that allows you to control HDMI devices using a common remote control only. Fire Sticks are among the devices with HDMI-CEC support since it’s connected to the HDMI.
To enable HDMI-CEC on your Fire Stick using a virtual remote, follow the steps below:
- Turn on your smartphone and launch the Amazon Fire TV app.
- Navigate to the Fire Stick remote and tap the Home button.
- Navigate to Settings > Display & Sounds.
- Choose HDMI CEC Device Control to Yes.
- You can now pair and use a new HDMI-CEC remote on your Fire Stick.
Method #3: Use Amazon Echo and Echo Dot to Connect your Fire Stick to WiFi
The Amazon Echo is a smart speaker with a virtual voice assistant, Alexa. Besides listening to music, you can also use it to connect your Fire Stick to WiFi using basic voice commands.
To use an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot on your Fire Stick and connect it to WiFi, proceed to the steps below:
- Download and install the Amazon Alexa app on your device. It’s available for free on both the Google Play Store and the App Store. We have an article that goes fully into how much alexa costs.
- Then, launch the app and tap More on the bottom of your screen.
- Go to Settings > TV & Video and select your Fire Stick from the list of devices.
- Follow the rest of the on-screen instructions.
- Your Amazon Echo will now be connected to the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone.
Once it’s paired, you can initiate voice commands such as connecting your Fire Stick to WiFi and logging in to your Amazon and streaming app accounts. If it stops responding to your voice, please read how to get Alexa back online.
Method #4: Buy a New Replacement Remote For Fire Stick
If these fixes didn’t work, you can resort to buying a new replacement remote that’s compatible with your Fire Stick device. You can search the Amazon marketplace for replacement remotes—some models can cost as low as $11. This method also fixes problems like if your Firestick keeps restarting or won’t even turn on.
This method is considered to be the most effective solution and is great long-term. You can also opt for newer Fire Stick remote models, but they can cost you more. After buying a new remote, it will be paired automatically during setup, given that it’s powered up with new batteries.
If you choose to purchase a new remote then you can find out how to pair the Firestick remote to TV volume.
When setting up your Amazon Fire Stick, you’ll most likely need its remote. It’s a critical accessory that allows you to do basic tasks, including connecting your Fire Stick to WiFi. However, there are situations where your Fire Stick remote can act up and malfunction.
Hence, this guide can hopefully help you to set up your Fire Stick without a remote and how to connect your Fire Stick to WiFi using alternative methods.