Facebook is an American online social media platform owned by Meta Platforms. It was founded by Mark Zuckerberg, along with other Harvard College students. Since its creation in 2004, Facebook is now known as one of the biggest social media networks on the internet with over 2.9 million monthly active users worldwide.
However, some users reported a connection issue when logging into their Facebook accounts. It can be due to several factors, such as a slow Wi-Fi or cellular connection, app issues, and Facebook server issues. In this guide, we’ll show you how to solve this issue with free and easy-to-do fixes.
So, if you’re wondering why Facebook says “no internet connection” on your iPhone, read on to learn more.
Table of Contents
Why Facebook Says “No Internet Connection” on Your Phone
A common way to access Facebook is through the Facebook app, which is available both on Android and iOS. If you tried logging into your account through the app and your computer’s browser and you’re still met with the same error, here are some reasons why it shows up:
- Server Issues – From time to time, Facebook’s servers are down due to server maintenance or some internal problem. Therefore, you cannot access your account and it will lead to a “no internet connection” error showing up on the screen.
If this is the case, you’ll need to wait for a few hours to a day, until Facebook’s servers are up once again. You can check Isitdownrightnow or other similar sites that check the site’s server status.
- Slow Internet Speed – If you’re accessing Facebook through your phone, chances are you’ll be using a wireless connection—either through Wi-Fi or Cellular data. Your current internet speed may not be enough to connect to Facebook’s server. Hence, the “no internet connection” error will show up.
- App Issues – If you haven’t updated your phone’s applications for a while, some of them may begin to malfunction and show some glitches. An outdated version of the Facebook app can lead to this login issue.
- Browser Issues – If you’re accessing your Facebook account through a computer, you can try troubleshooting your browser by clearing up any unnecessary data. Alternatively, you can try logging in to Facebook with another browser.
- Account Glitches – If you managed to log in to your Facebook account and will suddenly see this error message, it may be due to some glitches on your account. You can try logging out from your account and re-logging back in. Can you tell if someone screenshots your Facebook story while logged in?
How to Fix Facebook No Internet Connection Error
Before going through all fixes, one thing that you can try is to access other apps or sites through your phone or computer browser. This is to test if the issue comes from Facebook itself and not from a slow internet connection. If you manage to access all apps except for Facebook, then the issue might be directly from its server.
If you’re experiencing connection issues on your phone, you can try reconnecting to your wireless connection. Here’s how to do it on an iPhone:
- Open your phone and go to Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Select your Wi-Fi network and choose Forget This Network.
- Then, restart your phone and swipe up to open the Control Center.
- Hold the Wi-Fi icon to see the list of wireless connections. Tap your Wi-Fi connection and enter the password to connect.
When using a Cellular data connection, ensure that your device has a strong signal to avoid any connection problems. Also, make sure that you have enough data to connect to the internet.
Here are fixes that you can try when experiencing the “no internet connection” error:
Fix #1: Uninstall the Facebook App and Reinstall
If you’re experiencing issues with the app itself, try reinstalling the Facebook App on your phone. It will prompt your device to install the latest version of the app, which might be causing the no internet connection error.
To uninstall the Facebook App and reinstall it back on your iPhone, do the following:
- On the Home Screen, hold the Facebook icon and select Remove app.
- Choose the Delete App option to confirm.
- Next, open the App Store and click Search (bottom-left corner of the screen).
- Search for Facebook and select Get. You may be asked for your fingerprint or Apple account password to continue.
- Wait for the installation to finish.
- Once it is installed, log in to your Facebook account and see if the error still shows up.
Fix #2: Clear All Browsing Data on your Browser
If you’ve been using your computer for a long time, chances are there are obsolete browsing data—such as cache and cookies—that can cause this issue. To clear your browsing data on Chrome, follow these steps:
- Open the Chrome browser and click the More options icon (three vertical dots) on the top-right corner of the screen.
- Select Settings on the dropdown menu and click Privacy and Security.
- Select Clear browsing data.
- Here, you can check what browsing data you want to be deleted. Check Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files.
- Then, select Clear data and wait for it to finish.
- Once those are cleared, try logging in to your Facebook account and see if the error persists.
If you’re using Safari on an iOS device, open the Settings app and go to Safari > Advanced > Website Data and click Remove All Website Data.
Once you tried all the steps above and the no internet connection error still shows up on your screen, try using another browser and see if this solves the issue.
Fix #3: Try Relogging Into your Facebook Account
As mentioned earlier, your Facebook account may experience some glitches from time to time. If you have managed to log into your account and are suddenly disconnected, proceed to these steps:
- On the Facebook app, select the Menu icon on the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and select Log Out. Tap Log Out once again to confirm.
- Then, select the Gear icon on the app and select your account.
- Tap Remove account to remove your Facebook account from your device.
- Once it is removed, enter your login details, log back in, and see if the error still shows up.
If the steps above didn’t work, you can try to change your account’s password. Here are the steps to do it:
- On the login page of the app, select Forgot Password?
- Then, enter your account’s email or phone number.
- You’ll be asked to confirm your access to your account’s phone number by sending a confirmation code.
- Enter the code you received and enter the new password.
- Once your password is reset, enter your login details with the new password and see if the no internet connection error still shows.
If you cannot get any of these to work, you might try viewing the app on another device other than your phone. Our article on how to watch Facebook Live on Roku should help.
Facebook is one of the biggest social media platforms of the past decade. With it, you can connect with other people and join groups and communities. However, you’ll encounter some errors once in a while, like the “no connection error”.
Related: How to View Reddit Deleted Posts
Hopefully, this guide can help you resolve this problem so you can log in to your account without any problems and freely reconnect with your Facebook friends.