Are you stuck at home? The only thing worse than isolating is isolating without anything to do.
If you are into first-person shooter games, chances are you have either heard of or played Valorant.
From Riot Games, this FPS is played by gamers of all ages. Valorant is easily one of the most prominent games on the market today. Its storyline, mechanics, economics, and the sophisticated combo of solo and team gameplay, are consistently lauded by gamers and critics alike.
If you have a Chromebook, we’re sure you have heard about its configurations not being optimized for gaming.
While Chromebook software is not optimal for gaming, you can implement workarounds on your device. It is adept for light gaming, and there are extensions on Chrome viable to accommodate Valorant’s “firepower.”
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Install Valorant on Chromebook
- 2 How to Install Steam Games on Chromebook
- 3 FAQ
- 4 Final Words
If you already have Valorant, you can make in-game purchases to enhance your gameplay. Check out these Valorant Gift Cards to get a leg up on the competition.
Read on if you still don’t have Valorant on Chromebook and are looking for a way to do so.
How to Install Valorant on Chromebook
Before you rage quit any notions of playing Valorant on Chromebook, stop!
Chromebook may not be a gaming laptop in essence. Here, we have some remedies you can try. You can install Integrated Development Environments (IDE) to support better gaming function. If you are looking for a gaming laptop that can accommodate business and gaming, check out Acer Nitro 5 while you’re here.
Chromebook devices launched in 2019 and later all support Linux, which officially supports many gaming distribution platforms, including Steam. Regarding Valorant, your Chromebook will need both Linux and WINE installed and working in conjunction with one another.
WINE or “Wine Is Not an Emulator” is a compatibility layer you can integrate into your device to help its operating software run Windows applications. Ensure your Chromebook has both Linux and WINE to install Valorant.
If you already have both, proceed to the succeeding steps below.
Download Valorant on Chromebook
- Go to the game’s official website: Riot Games – PlayValorant and go to Downloads.
- Or, if you already have an existing RIOT account, you can click here to download Valorant.
- Create or Log In to your RIOT account.
- Download Valorant’s game file. “Install Valorant.exe.”
- After the download finishes, move Valorant.exe to your Linux folder.
- Open the terminal to input program commands to launch Valorant.
- On WINE, input “Install Valorant.exe.”
- Await the completion of installation.
- Restart your Chromebook device.
- Launch the game.
- Fire away!
The voice chat can be a bit buggy, so if you have any troubles, please read our guide on what to do if Valorant Voice Chat is Not Working.
As you can see, there isn’t much difficulty in installing and downloading Valorant onto your Chromebook. If you have trouble downloading it, there are other options to satiate your inner gamer.
Linux officially supports Steam, an industry-leading distributor.
How to Install Steam Games on Chromebook
As mentioned above, you will need to have Linux installed on your Chromebook.
However, if your Chromebook is academic-issued by your school, chances are Linux access has been disabled. Educational facilities that provide students with Chromebooks for online studies disable or lock software that enables desktop gaming.
How Do I Know if School Administration Disabled My Chromebook Acess to Linux
- Launch Quick Settings on your Chromebook
- Tap on the Cogwheel icon
- Click Advanced Settings
- If you do not see an option for DEVELOPERS under Advanced Settings – YOUR CHROMEBOOK’S ACESS TO LINUX HAS BEEN DISABLED.
If you already have that down, you can proceed with the steps below.
If you have left school, but Linux is still disabled, then another option is to reset (powerwash) the chromebook. This will remove all software on the chromebook, including any locks.
Install Steam on Chromebook
First, you will have to set up Linux on Chromebook.
- Launch Quick Settings
- Click on the Cogwheel
- Click on Advanced
- Click on Developers
- Click on Turn On next to the Linux development environment (Beta)
- When the Setup Dialog window is prompted, click on Install
- Input your desired Username and amount of disk space to customize your account
- Click Install and wait for the installation to complete
After setting up Linux, you can now set up Steam on your Chromebook.
- Enable GPU Acceleration on Chromebook Settings under the Linux (Beta) Option
- Launch the Linux Terminal and type command to update your software
- sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y
- Click on this link to download the Steam file for setup “Steam_latest.deb”
- Move DEB file to your Linux files
- Double-click the file
- Click Install to initiate the installation
- Launch Steam on Chromebook
- If you can’t find it on your desktop icons, type in Steam on your search bar
- Double-click the application to launch
These steps should initiate your Chromebook gaming. Although your choice in games won’t be plenty, there is a number you can play without a hitch on Chromebook.
What Steam Games to Play on Chromebook
Steam, developed by Valve Corporation, has about twenty-one million users and a database of games amounting to over eight thousand options. Thanks to Linux (Beta), Chromebook users can now access various Steam games.
Below are some games we suggest you play on Chromebook. They aren’t data-dense and don’t require powerful GPU functions to run.
- Dota 2
- Defense of the Ancients comes free and provides gamers with amazing plotlines and solid gameplay.
- Portal 2
- A Puzzle-Platform type of gaming, Portal 2 has a user-rating of 10/10.
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is the successor of the original LAN game – Counter-Strike.
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Suppose you have a Chromebook with an integrated GPU that is more powerful like the No products found.. You can opt for games like The Witcher.
- It is a tell-tale fashion game, where you can carve your own path and ending. You should also play this with an adequate iGPU.
Here you can find some answers to issues commonly encountered by Chromebook users concerning gaming.
What Notebooks Make Good Gaming Laptops?
You probably use your Chromebook for studying online or working at home. If you want a laptop that can also accommodate games, check out the Acer Predator Helios
The Helios can accommodate larger volumes of programs. You can use it for studies and work from 9-5 and game all night.
What Games Can You Play on a Chromebook?
The Play Store offers users a broad selection of games without extensions or assistive software such as Linux (Beta) or WINE integrations.
Open the Play Store app, and within, you will find:
And we have chromebook guides on how to install:
It can be a hassle to look for answers online individually. We hope this article helped you figure out Chromebook gaming.
As you can see, installing Valorant on Chromebook is a simple undertaking if you have Linux (Beta) and WINE software already installed. If you don’t have either yet, you can read more about how to download Linux (Beta) for Chromebook here.
Remember that having the necessary software for heavier games is great. Still, Chromebook’s Play Store offers users various games that don’t need any extensions.
If you are pressed for time, no worries, we put together a list of aspects to take away from this article.
- You need Linux (Beta) and WINE on your Chromebook to install and play Valorant.
- Academic-issued Chromebooks often disable Developers access, barring students from accessing Linux (Beta).
- You can install Steam on Chromebook with the help of Linux (Beta).
- You can play games on Chromebooks that are not from RIOT or Steam.
- The Play Store has games available for download that are tailor-made for Chromebooks.