Snapchat is a popular instant messaging and social networking app that allows you to share your stories and moments with your followers and friends. One unique feature of conversations in the app is that they’re deleted after 24 hours, after viewing, or when both parties leave the conversation.
But, some users have wondered if it’s possible to recover Snapchat messages. It can be a meaningful conversation or a memorable chat from a stranger online. In this guide, we’ll show you how to find deleted messages on Snapchat and how to recover them.
Read this guide to know more.
Table of Contents
Can You Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages?
Yes. Though it may seem impossible initially, you can still recover your Snapchat messages using effective workarounds. But why are Snapchat conversations quickly deleted in the first place? Snapchat, like a few other messaging apps, uses ephemeral messaging, a term that refers to self-destructing chats and conversations.
Ephemeral messages usually don’t last long; hence, they’re deleted after a short time. However, this means you’ll save more storage space on your device. Unlike standard messaging apps, you won’t have to go through them and delete abandoned conversations. Also, not all conversations are recoverable, especially those deleted after a year or more.
If you accidentally delete messages and this causes you to lose your snap streack, you can recover them and then get your Snap Streack back.
How to Recover Snapchat Messages
Recovering your Snapchat messages is an easier task once they are recently deleted. To do these workarounds successfully, you may need a computer and a compatible USB cord for your phone in case you’ll need to connect it.
Remember to review each method and determine the most effective recovery method for your Snapchat messages.
Method #1: Via Snapchat My Data
One effective way to recover your deleted Snapchat messages is by requesting your Snapchat data through the Snapchat My Data platform. It’s a feature you can use to have a copy of all data associated with your account, including photos, conversations, videos, etc.
To recover Snapchat messages via Snapchat My Data, follow these steps:
- Open your computer’s browser and visit Snapchat My Data.
- Sign in to your Snapchat account and click Log In.
- Select My Data on the Manage My Account page and choose Submit Request in the next window.
- The link for your saved Snapchat data will now be sent to the email registered to your account.
- Click the link to download your Snapchat data. Usually, it will be kept in a .zip file format.
- Extract the .zip file using your computer’s ZIP extractor software and open it.
- You will now see a mydata_… folder. Open it and double-click the index.html file.
- You can now see all deleted Snapchat messages on your account.
Method #2: Via Your Device’s Cache (Android)
If you’re using Snapchat on an Android device, you can recover your deleted Snapchat messages through the device’s cache. This method is more effective for recently deleted chats since they’re temporarily stored or cached on your phone after being deleted.
To recover deleted Snapchat messages via your device’s cache, proceed to these steps:
- Launch My Files or the default file manager on your phone or tablet.
- Go to Internal Storage > Android and select Data.
- Find the folder com.snapchat.android and open it.
- Rename all files with the .nomedia extension and find the file that contains your Snapchat messages.
If you’re having trouble accessing your internal storage directly on your phone, you can also do it on your computer. To do this, you’ll need a USB connector compatible with your phone.
Follow the steps below to view your device’s cache on your computer:
- Turn on your computer and connect your Android device via a USB cable.
- Go to your Device folder and select Android.
- Navigate to Data > com.snapchat.android and open the Cache folder.
- Open the Recover folder and select the Snapchat messages you want to recover.
As mentioned earlier, this method works best for recently deleted Snapchat messages since cache files can be quickly dumped and replaced by new data.
Method #3: Using a Third-party Data Recovery Tool
Since iOS devices don’t save .nomedia files, you’ll need to use a data recovery tool to retrieve your deleted Snapchat messages. This method can also be your last resort once the workarounds above don’t work.
Typically, you’ll need to install the software tool on your computer and connect your device so it’ll be scanned for deleted data. Then, it previews recoverable data, which may contain your Snapchat messages. Apps such as Disk Drill, FoneLab, iBeesoft, and a few more data recovery tools specialize in these situations.
However, it’s essential to know that each data recovery tool will require a payment or subscription to access all of its features. So, make sure to do your research first and see which recovery tool is fit for your device and budget.
We have another guide on how to get unbanned from Snapchat, which may come in handy.
Snapchat messages, like other messaging apps with ephemeral messaging features, can get your conversations deleted after a fixed amount of time. However, they can be recovered using workarounds, like accessing your phone’s cache data or through Snapchat’s My Data feature.
Hence, this guide hopefully helps you to recover and see your deleted messages on Snapchat.