You’ll need a working Xfinity remote to control your Xfinity X1 wireless TV box. It helps you do basic commands, such as switching your TV box, navigating through channels, etc. Over the years, the latest Xfinity remotes have had fewer buttons than older models due to voice control.
But, you may come across your Xfinity remote having unresponsive buttons or pairing issues. In this guide, we’ll show you how to XR15 remote reset and how to reset your Xfinity remote. We will also briefly mention how to unpair your Xfinity remote using xfinity.com/unpair.
Note: If you have a different brand, we also have a guide on how to reset your Spectrum remote.
Read on to learn more.
Table of Contents
Why is My Xfinity Remote Not Working?
Your Xfinity XR remote will have hardware issues over time, making it unresponsive. However, this doesn’t mean you’ll need to buy a new XR remote immediately. Here are some of the most common reasons why your Xfinity remote is not working:
- Faulty Batteries – If you’re experiencing problems with your Xfinity remote, it may be due to faulty batteries, especially when you haven’t changed them yet. One trick you can do is press a few buttons on the remote; if the LED indicator doesn’t light up, it’s a clear sign of dead batteries.
The same also applies when the LED indicator blinks red five times. It means that the batteries of the remote are dying. Change it with a new set of batteries and see if it fixes the issue.
- Physical Damage – Check the remote for cracks and if one of its buttons is stuck, which may cause it to malfunction. If it was dropped in water or has apparent physical damage, it may be necessary to buy a new remote for your Xfinity X1.
If your Xfinity remote won’t change channels, we have a dedicated guide to troubleshooting this problem.
Note: This article is about resetting your Xfinity remote, we have a separate article if you need to know How to Reset Your Xfinity Cable Box.
How to Reset Xfinity Remote
When you’re wondering how to unpair Xfinity remote, the first thing that you can do is to identify its model. Some remote models might have different reset procedures than other XR models, so it’s essential to keep this in mind to avoid getting confused.
Resetting Xfinity XR2, XR5, and XR11 Remotes
You can distinguish your Xfinity remote as an XR2, XR5, and XR11 when it has a built-in Setup button. To reset these types of Xfinity remote models, follow these steps:
- Find the Setup button. Its location may vary from one model to another, but you can easily find it by looking for the button that has the “Setup” label below it.
- Press and hold the Setup button until the LED light changes from a red to green color. Then, release it.
- Next, enter the code 9-8-1 while keeping an eye on the LED light. Once it flashes a green light twice, your Xfinity remote is successfully reset.
Resetting the Xfinity XR15 and XR16 Voice Remote (No Setup Button)
The Xfinity XR15 is one of the newer remotes for Xfinity devices. It has no Setup button, which requires different resetting steps compared to older Xfinity XR models. To do this, proceed to these steps:
- Press and simultaneously hold the A (triangle) and D (diamond) buttons on the remote.
- Hold until the color of the LED indicator changes from red to green. Then, release both buttons.
- Enter the code 9-8-1. The indicator light will now switch from a green color to blue. Your Xfinity XR15 remote is now reset to factory settings.
You’ll follow different steps for Xfinity’s latest remote, the Xfinity XR16 Flex Voice Remote. Here’s how you can reset it:
- Press and hold the Info (i) and Home buttons simultaneously until the LED light flashes.
- Next, press the following buttons in order: Power, Last (Last Arrow <), and Volume Down (-). Your XR16 remote will now reset shortly.
Hopefully your remote is now working! If this was useful, please check out our other guide on what to do if your Xfinity modem is blinking orange.
Resetting an Xfinity remote is sometimes necessary if it becomes unresponsive to specific commands, especially when changing its batteries doesn’t work. Each remote may have different reset steps—visit xfinity.com/unpair for more information.
Hopefully, this guide will help you how to unpair Xfinity remote. After resetting, you’ll need to pair back your Xfinity remote to use its functions, including voice commands for Voice Remotes. If you need your remote replaced, contact Xfinity Assistant to order a new one.