Amazon Firestick is a popular streaming device that you can use to stream various content. It supports most mainstream streaming services and is cost-effective compared to a cable subscription. All Firestick devices run on the same operating system called Fire OS.
However, you might wonder if it’s possible to AirPlay to Firestick. This especially happens when you want to mirror an iOS or Apple device to Firestick. In this guide, we’ll show you how to AirPlay on Firestick and AirPlay on Fire TV.
Read on to know more.
Can you AirPlay to Firestick?
No. Normally, Firestick streaming devices and Fire TV don’t support AirPlay. The Fire OS is based on the Android platform, which only supports Android-based screen-sharing protocols. AirPlay is a handy feature that you can use to stream content from your iPad, iPhone, and Mac.
However, this doesn’t mean you cannot stream an iOS or Apple device to your Firestick. You can instead use third-party apps that have similar features to AirPlay. This way, you can still mirror your iPad or iPhone’s screen to your Firestick without AirPlay. We also have a guide that explains how to get Apple Music on your Firestick.
If you want to know how to cast to FireStick from your Windows PC or Android device instead, we’ve got you covered.
How to Screen Mirror iOS Device to Firestick Without AirPlay
Since Firestick devices don’t naturally support AirPlay and only support screen mirroring from Android devices, you can install a free screen mirroring app like AirScreen. It lets you do screen mirroring from your iOS device to your Firestick. The app supports iOS 8 and greater and macOS X 10.5 and later.
To install and use AirScreen on your Firestick device, follow these steps:
- Turn on your smart TV with the Firestick device connected.
- Using the Firestick remote, select the Find button on the home screen.
- Choose Search and type in Airscreen. Select the app icon and choose Download.
- Once installed, ensure that your Firestick and iOS device are on the same wireless network.
- Launch the app and scan the QR code on the screen using your Apple device’s QR scanner. Select Open in Chrome.
- Then, open the Control Center on your iOS device and tap Screen Mirroring to activate.
- Next, choose the device generated by the app. It should have an AirPlay extension on its name. If you want to, we also explain How to Change Your Firestick Name.
- Your iOS device will now be mirrored to your Firestick.
Note: Since this is an alternative solution, factors such as stream quality and resolution can differ from a streaming device that supports AirPlay. You can also choose to sideload apps similar to AirScreen if you want to try other alternatives. For more information on Airscreen, please see our article “How to Screen Mirror iPhone to Firestick”
If instead you want to cast shows from your Firestick and watch them on your Mac, please read our article which explains how to connect fire stick to laptop.
When streaming to iOS and Apple devices, you’ll need to use AirPlay to have the best streaming experience. However, Firestick and Fire TV devices don’t support AirPlay and are only exclusive to casting Android devices. Hence, this guide can hopefully help you to screen mirror an Apple device to your Firestick without using AirPlay.