If you’re locked out of your laptop because you forgot the password or if you can’t log in because of a technical issue, you may need to reset ASUS laptop to factory settings.
Bringing your laptop to a technician or service center can be time-consuming and expensive. Thankfully, there are many simple ways for you to reset your laptop without the help of a professional.
Try our top 5 solutions on how to restore ASUS laptops to factory settings without disc. These methods work well on most ASUS models with Windows 7/8/10.
Table of Contents
How to Unlock ASUS Laptop (Forgot Password)
One way to recover access to your ASUS laptop if you forgot the password is to restore it to factory settings.
However, doing so will cause all your files, including documents, images, videos, and software, to be erased. If you don’t have a recent backup of your laptop, you can risk losing a lot of important data.
If you’ve backed up your laptop or don’t mind losing data, you can proceed with Windows 10 / Windows 8 / Windows 7 Factory Reset ASUS.
Solution 1: Factory Reset ASUS Laptop with Boot
- Click the power button located on the lower right corner of the ASUS login screen.
- Press the shift key and click Restart.
- Click Troubleshoot under Choose an Option. Then Reset this PC.
- You will receive a warning with Remove Everything. Choose this option, then the system will reboot.
- Choose between the options: Just remove my files or Fully clean the drive. Go with either of the options that work best for you.
- Click Reset. Your system will proceed with resetting your laptop, so you will have to wait until it finishes.
- Click Finish to reboot ASUS laptop.
- You will be able to enter your laptop without a password.
This is a similar fix to the Hard Reset we recommend if your ASUS laptop won’t turn on (though of course a normal hard reset does not remove all files).
Solution 2: Factory Reset ASUS Laptop with Partition Data
You can also access your ASUS laptop without a password by resetting your laptop to factory settings using partition data. However, be cautious of this method as it will completely wipe the data on your system.
- Press the F9 key as you boot the system. You will be redirected to a page asking you to choose a boot device.
- Click Windows Boot Manager, then select your preferred language. Click Next.
- In the ASUS Preload Wizard page, you will be asked to choose from three options: Recover Windows to first partition only, Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions, or Recover Windows to entire HD. Click Next, then Reset.
- Factory reset process will begin.
- Click Finish to reboot your ASUS laptop.
- You may now enter your laptop without a password.
Solution 3: Factory Reset ASUS Laptop with Windows Recovery Environment
Using Recovery Manager is one of the easiest ways to reset your ASUS laptop. This method will completely restore your laptop to factory settings, meaning that your original operating system will be reinstalled, and all your apps and data will be removed.
- Turn off your ASUS laptop and remove all external devices, including the mouse, keyboard, and power chord.
- Once no external media is attached, click the Restart button to reboot the laptop. Keep pressing the Shift key while the laptop is booting up.
- Choose Troubleshoot when a new window appears.
- Click Restart this PC.
- Choose between Keep my files or Remove everything.
- Click Continue, and the process will begin.
- Click Finish to restart the laptop.
- You can now access your ASUS laptop without a password.
Solution 4: Reset ASUS Laptop with Built-in Administrator Account
If you don’t want to factory reset your laptop, it’s possible to reset your laptop’s password using the built-in administrator account if you haven’t set a password on it.
- Enter your Windows Set-up Disk
- Power on your laptop.
- Enter the Boot Menu and select CD-ROM Drive.
- Press the F10 key, and Enter to save the changes and Exit.
- Press any key on your keyboard, then choose your preferred language.
- Enter Advanced Options, then Command Prompt.
- Replace “osk.exe” with “cmd.exe” in the system drive where your operating system is located.
- Close the command prompt and restart your laptop.
- When you get to the log-in screen, click Ease of Access, then On-Screen Keyboard.
- Activate administrator account with prompt “net user administrator /active:yes”
- Close the command prompt and restart your laptop.
You will then find the built-in administrator account on the log-in screen. With this account, you will be able to reset any user account password without a problem.
This method requires the keyboard to be working, if the keyboard is not responding then check out our guide on fixing an ASUS laptop keyboard that is not working (Window 10 and others)
Solution 5: Reset ASUS Laptop by Recovering Microsoft Password Online
If you don’t want to reset your ASUS laptop, but you can’t remember your password, you may be able to recover access to your laptop if you have a Microsoft account.
- On your ASUS login page, click I forgot my password.
- You will then be redirected to the Microsoft account service to recover your account by resetting your password and security information.
- To continue with this method, you need to enter your Microsoft account details. This can be any of your email addresses ending in a Microsoft domain, such as outlook.com or hotmail.com.
- Enter the characters on the screen to prove you’re not a robot, then click Next.
- To verify your identity, enter the code that was sent to the Microsoft account you just entered. Click Next.
- If you added security information to your Microsoft account, you will receive a one-time code for the alternate phone or email address you provide.
- Set your new password after entering the code on the screen.
If you forgot the password to your ASUS laptop, there’s no need to panic!
There are several easy ways to recover access to your user account by resetting your laptop password or restoring to factory settings.
Note: We also have an ASUS guide to fix the CPU Fan Error ASUS on Boot Issue. Check it out!
If you do not want to wipe your laptop’s data, reset your ASUS user login password through the built-in administrator account or the Microsoft account services.
To reset your ASUS laptop to factory settings without a password, you may do so with:
- Partition Data
- Windows Recovery Environment
We hope this article helped you recover access to your ASUS laptop. Once you regain access, you can test it using our guide on how to take a screenshot on a ASUS laptop.