VR (Virtual Reality) headsets, like the Oculus Quest, can give you a unique experience when viewing content. Whether it is for gaming or watching VR-supported movies, these can be easily done when you have your VR headset ready. The most common way to cast content to your Oculus Quest is through Chromecast.
So, can you connect your Oculus Quest to TV even without Chromecast? In this guide, we’ll show you various methods on how to do this, using your smart TV or your phone. This guide can also be applied to its successor, Oculus Quest 2.
Note: If you do have a Chromecast, then check out our guide to casting Oculus Quest 2 to Roku TV.
Table of Contents
Cast Oculus Quest 2 to Samsung TV Without Chromecast
If your Oculus Quest (or Oculus Quest 2) is running on the 10.0 version, you can cast content to it directly from your Samsung TV. All you will need to do is to pair both devices using the settings on your Oculus Quest 2.
Important: You may need to connect both of your devices to a common wireless network (Wi-Fi), so connect both of them first before proceeding to the steps below.
To cast Oculus Quest 2 directly to your Samsung TV without Chromecast, follow these steps:
- Switch both your Samsung TV and Oculus VR headset to ON.
- Enable casting on your Samsung TV to ensure that it is detected by the Oculus VR headset.
- On your Oculus Quest 2, go to Utilities > Cast To.
- A list of nearby devices that the Oculus Quest can cast to will appear. Select the name of your Samsung TV and choose Next.
- The notification “Casting Started” will soon appear once you have successfully connected your Oculus Quest to the Samsung TV. It will immediately cast content that’s being shown on your Oculus Quest.
Samsung TVs are different to other TVs as they use the Tizen OS, rather than Android or Google TV. This means they have fewer native apps, and you have to use hacks to get apps like crunchyroll on Samsung TVs and the Peloton app.
Alternatively, if you have difficulty downloading apps on your Oculus Quest 2, learn how to reset Oculus PIN codes.
Cast Oculus Quest 2 to your TV Using an Android Phone
Another way to cast your Oculus Quest 2 to your TV is via screen mirroring. This solution is suited once you have a wireless connection available at your home, and an Android smartphone.
To cast content from your Oculus Quest 2 using screen mirroring, refer to these steps:
- Turn On your Oculus Quest VR headset, smartphone, and smart TV. Connect them to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Download the Oculus Mobile App on your smartphone. Once installed, open and ensure that your Oculus VR headset is connected to the app.
- Using the app, enable its casting feature; it will cast content from your Oculus VR headset to your smartphone.
- Next, use the default screen mirroring app on your phone to mirror its content to your TV.Note: Apps such as MirrorOP are reliable when your phone does not have any screen mirroring applications. It is also available on the Google Play Store—just search for MirrorOP Receiver and download it for free.
- When all connections are successfully established, you can now cast content from your Oculus Quest 2. It will also be displayed to both your phone and smart TV via the screen mirroring feature.
We have another article which goes into detail on How to Pair Oculus Quest 2 to a Phone.
Casting Oculus Quest 2 from an Old TV
If you have your new Oculus Quest VR headset ready but have an old TV, it sadly cannot cast content compared to newer smart TVs today. At the least, your TV must have—but is not limited to—these features:
- Wi-Fi connection;
- Have input ports available for streaming devices, like Chromecast dongles, Amazon Fire Stick, and others. If you are unsure how to set these up, check out our article on how to change input on a Samsung TV.
- Must support various apps for casting and streaming;
- High-quality resolution for casting;
If it lacks a few of these features—your TV, unfortunately, cannot handle casting content from your Oculus Quest 2. Alternatively, you can use other Chromecast devices that are available at your home or buy one if you have the money to spend.
If you want to use your own earbuds, instead of the ones supplied with the Quest, please read our article which explains how to connect AirPods to Oculus Quest 2.
Casting an Oculus Quest VR headset is recommended if you have a Chromecast device. Not only does it have more features, but it can also provide a clearer and improved image quality compared to other methods.
However, if you don’t have Chromecast available, you can refer to this guide to help you on connecting your Oculus Quest (or Oculus Quest 2) VR headset to your smart TV and also your smartphone. Remember that the image quality may be drastically low once you cast content without Chromecast.