Among the free Over-the-Top (OTT) cable services that offer On-demand and live TV is the Spectrum TV app. It currently provides up to 300 live TV channels and over 30,000 TV shows, movies, and movie series that are On-demand. All the user needs to do is to download the Spectrum TV app on a compatible device and create a Spectrum.net account.
Although this TV app is available on various OTT devices, the Amazon Firestick is reportedly incompatible with the Spectrum TV app, as reported by some users. Also, users encounter an error related to the Spectrum TV app update once it’s installed via an external source.
In this guide, we’ll go over ways how to watch Spectrum TV on Firestick using easy-to-do methods. So, if you’re looking forward to watching various, free media content via the Spectrum TV app using your Firestick, read on to know more.
Table of Contents
Compatible Devices With the Spectrum TV App
To run the Spectrum TV app, it first must have support from Spectrum. Below is the list of compatible devices with the Spectrum TV app. If your device is not on the list, however, like the Amazon Firestick, you can try several workarounds that are going to be discussed later.
- Apple Devices (must run iOS 12 or higher)
- Android Devices (must run Android 5.0 OS or higher)
- Samsung Smart TV (model years 2015 or later)
- All versions of Xbox One
- Roku (Roku streaming players 1 to 4, Roku Express, Roku Premiere, Roku Streaming Stick (must be third-generation or greater), and Roku Ultra streaming players)
- Amazon Devices (Kindle Fire models that are second-generation or greater)
- Google Chromecast (All versions of Chromecast)
How to Get Spectrum TV App on Firestick
Typically, you can only install apps to your Amazon Firestick via the Amazon App Store. But in the case of unsupported apps like the Spectrum TV app, you’ll need to perform a sideloading process. This means installing an APK or Android Package Kit onto a device that’s downloaded from a source other than the device’s official app store.
It’s a safe method as long as you’re able to download from a trusted APK source. However, you must enable the “Apps From Unknown Sources” setting on your Firestick to successfully install sideloaded apps.
To enable “Apps From Unknown Sources”, follow these steps:
- Turn on your Firestick and using the remote, navigate to Settings > My Fire TV.
- Choose Developer and find the “Apps from unknown sources” setting.
- Enable it by selecting Turn On on the pop-up window.
- You can now install apps from sources other than the Amazon App Store.
After enabling the said setting, here are a few sideloading methods that you can try in your Firestick to download the Spectrum TV App. Make sure to go over them individually to see which one works best for you.
Important: Ensure that your Firestick is connected to a stable wireless connection. In terms of internet speed, the Spectrum TV app recommends 10 Mbps or more to have a seamless streaming experience.
Method #1: Install Spectrum TV App via the Downloader App
The Downloader App is a free application that you can install on your Amazon Firestick. Using its built-in browser, you can enter the download URL of the Spectrum TV app for Firestick and install it.
To download and install the Spectrum TV app via the Downloader app, follow the steps below:
- Turn on your Amazon Firestick and go to the Amazon App Store.
- Using the Search feature, type in the keywords “downloader app” and select Install on the download page.
- Once it’s installed, launch the app and copy this link to the app’s search bar.
- Select Go. You will now be redirected to the Spectrum TV app’s download page.
- Choose the Download XAPK button to download the APK version of the app.
- Once downloaded, select Install and wait for it to be fully installed.
- You can now launch and use the Spectrum TV app on your Firestick.
Method #2: Install Spectrum TV App via the ES File Explorer App
The ES File Explorer application is another popular file manager app for Android devices. Besides key features such as file transfer and management, it also has a built-in browser that you can use to download the Spectrum TV app. Afterward, you can install the app on your Amazon Firestick device.
To download and install the Spectrum TV app via ES File Explorer, follow the process below:
- Turn on your Amazon Firestick and navigate to the Amazon App Store.
- Search for the keywords “ES file explorer” and select the Install button.
- Once it’s installed, launch the app and select Downloader.
- Choose the “+ New” button and enter this URL into the search bar.
- Select Download XAPK and wait for the download to finish.
- Next, choose Open File > Install. The Spectrum TV app will now be installed on your Firestick device.
- Once it’s installed, you can now use the Spectrum TV app and watch various movies and TV shows for free.
Note: Since this app is downloaded via an external source, you will need to download the latest version of the app manually using the same steps above, depending on your chosen method. This will let you avoid issues with app updates for the Spectrum TV app.
The Amazon Firestick is a great OTT device for streaming various content. However, you’ll need to pay an additional amount for premium streaming services such as Amazon Prime. As an alternative, you can opt on installing the Spectrum TV app on your device which lets you stream various content for free.
Hopefully, this guide can help you on installing the Spectrum TV app using a few, safe, and easy-to-do methods.